Menu
jhuk
Super solver
Message 11 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wi-fi hotspots on the way

SH2 was the only HUB to be used during the trial a while back, not the SH1 or SH2ac, now its launched its the HUB3 for now but I doubt anyone can get a signal outside my home or my mothers home as I cannot with my phone.

I had all SH's so was on 2 as trial (I did not sign up for it) was ongoing then swapped to 2ac, I remember having to OP out also.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 12 of 71
Flag for a moderator

is this a  you have to consent to opt in thing, or a  you are IN unless you ask to be opted out?

0 Kudos
jhuk
Super solver
Message 13 of 71
Flag for a moderator

You need to sign in and OP OUT, you are IN by default.

Then you will not be able to use other customers WIFI but still use the public VM cloud in KFC etc.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 71
Flag for a moderator

The Wifi Hotspot will be provided via a separate SSID and network flow to the users own connection so for my part I have no objection to my hub being used in this way. 

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 15 of 71
Flag for a moderator

Once I got the email I went into my profile and said no, it said it will take four days to take effect.  It became operational on the 13th and it will now take an engineers home visit next Wednesday to sort it out as download speeds took a nosedive at the same time and has been the same since.

hotspot%20speed%20changes

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 71
Flag for a moderator

@jhuk wrote:

You need to sign in and OP OUT, you are IN by default.

Then you will not be able to use other customers WIFI but still use the public VM cloud in KFC etc.

If you opt your own Hub 3.0 out you can still use the full Virgin Media WiFi service, including the network provided by other Hub 3.0s.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
cybmole
Community elder
Message 17 of 71
Flag for a moderator

BenMcr wrote:

If you opt your own Hub 3.0 out you can still use the full Virgin Media WiFi service, including the network provided by other Hub 3.0s.

which could be a pretty small network if most customers think ( rightly or wrongly) my own speed is abysmal already why should I share what little I have ....

I don't see this working unless VM put much effort into to convincing customers there will be no downside to sharing- and Iv'e already seen one post here suggesting that it not even the case.

and even if true it jsut feels wrong somehow that effort is going into this rollout when the list of pressing faults includes

email woes,

overutilitisation,

Tivo speeds,

Tv anywhere mostly broken,

on demand / catchup mostly broken,

V6 freezes,does not start up and/or shuts down randomly, does not play nice with netflix

how about  FIX THE SERVICES WE PAY FOR before rolling freebies for non-customers

every engineer working on hot spots rollout means one less engineer working on the above list

Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 71
Flag for a moderator

how about  FIX THE SERVICES WE PAY FOR before rolling freebies for non-customers.

Erm - Virgin Media Wifi isn't being provided to non-customers.

While I agree they need to fix what's broken, it still doesn't preclude going ahead with other planned rollouts.  Especially when some of the problems are not necessarily network related.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Highlighted
cybmole
Community elder
Message 19 of 71
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

how about  FIX THE SERVICES WE PAY FOR before rolling freebies for non-customers.

Erm - Virgin Media Wifi isn't being provided to non-customers.

whoops  I missed that. so it only works via a specifc app that you have to install and sign into? & evenif that's true, what stops me using my account to acticvate the app on my son's i-phone( he's a Sky customer)  for him to use. Will there be device registration limits ?

I look in Google play store and see:

Setting up to connect to Virgin Media WiFi hotspots is easy. If you’re a Virgin Media broadband customer, just use your ‘My Virgin Media’ username and password to enjoy the service.

so it will work for anyone I trust with my credentials ?

i still question their priorities though:. I don't rely on on demand / catch up but that service seems to have gone the way of their email service  recently, if the number of posts here are anything go go by

and V6 ain't looking that great either, on the same assessment.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 20 of 71
Flag for a moderator

My last post here suddenly disappeared Smiley Indifferent 

To repeat myself :  You can't now book an engineer for a home visit in myvirginmedia that option has been removed

You have to first go through phone technical support and remote access, that process run down  the batteries

in my hand set two days in a row during their investigations, luckily the second time I gave my mobile number in 

order to keep in contact the second time.

0 Kudos