cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first computer?

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I recently reminisced about my first computer, an Amiga 600 in the mid-90s.

I'm sure you've all had some weird and wonderful systems over the years, but what was the first? What was good (or not so good) about it?

Personally I loved playing Settlers on the Amiga - I was only 8-9, after all - but I didn't enjoy the multiple disks or time needed to install it!

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

124 REPLIES 124

JollyGiant
Tuning in

My first computer was a commodore vic-20 with 3K ram pack and then in the following order:

C64

C128

Atari 520 St FM

Atari 520 STe (upgraded to 1MB)

386sx, 486dx40 then various PC's

Sinclair 128k ZX Spectrum +2

mickp33
Just joined
Mine was an Oric. Nice and modern looking and slim. Really left the Commodore 64 way behind. Easier to program and state of the art. It still looks good now. A great machine

Oyster
Up to speed
My first computer was a Sinclair ZX80 which I assembled myself from a kit. Followed by a ZX81 a few months later. However in my professional life my first computer (owned by the corp I worked for as a computer operator) was an IBM 370/158 mainframe

My first computer was a Sharp MZ 80K, it was made of steel and heavy as ****. I Did learn some coding on this thing though. Then moved to BBC's, and Spectrums! 

798px-Sharp_MZ-80K_computer.jpg

figurehead71
Tuning in

I started out with a second hand Atari 400 back in 1984.  Basic on that machine was fantastic.  Graphically it was on par with the C64 considering it preceded it as a machine by 3 years being introduced in late 1979...sonically it was no match.

Sadly here in the UK it did not have much of a foothold on the marketplace and with a lack of software I eventually persuaded my parents to get me a C64 in 1985, progressing onwards to an Amiga 500+, A1200 HD and when Commodore went bust sold that and moved onto 80486 PC.

Still have a fondness for the Atari 8 bit line of computers, severely underrated, and a huge liking (despite their many failings) of Commodore machines of which I now own several but prefer due to lack of space these days to emulate.

Classic gaming memories of IK+, Bubble Bobble, The Sentinel, Impossible Mission, Archon, Beach Head, Thing On A Spring, Uridium, Wizball, Leaderboard, Boulder Dash, H.E.R.O, Thrust, Epyx Sports games etc etc on the C64, the legendary Star Raiders on the Atari 8 Bit, alongside a wonderful coin-op conversion of Defender, The late great Paul Woakes of Novagen 'Encounter' and Dropzone.

As for the Amiga, many a Lucasarts point & click, Speedball 2, Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, Fire & Ice, Turrican, Gods, Wings, Stunt Car Racer, James Pond 3, Syndicate, Chaos Engine etc

1st computer was an Austin micro  sh4gtastic x 

2nd was a Flemming Electronics 007

3rd was Toshiba Inc Hello Hello Hello Tosh vers. gotta 

4th Was a CBM Amiga

5th was Tefal industries Tefal Forehead XL

6th was an X86 pocket computer. Can't remember the name but it was very compaq

7th was an AMD X64 first generation. It was a very rare one as it had three cores and was known as a Tri-Athlon

8th was a CIA (of Langley) variant that gathered Intel.

9th was an Atom(ic) - Blondie - Denny - doo be doo

I had a Tefal Forehead XXXL (EH edition) , just to be different.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

Commodore 16!!

Im old....

Followed by an Amiga 500+ with an extra MB of RAM..

Then a Pentium 166 with 16 MB of RAM and a 1.2 GB hdd..

Happy days. 

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Wait... How the heck could I forget the C64?? 

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7