cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What was your first computer?

Kev_B
Community Manager (Retired)

I recently reminisced about my first computer, an Amiga 600 in the mid-90s.

I'm sure you've all had some weird and wonderful systems over the years, but what was the first? What was good (or not so good) about it?

Personally I loved playing Settlers on the Amiga - I was only 8-9, after all - but I didn't enjoy the multiple disks or time needed to install it!

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

124 REPLIES 124

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Machine code every time. No bloat of an interpreter or compiler, just a fast assembler.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Kev_B

@Sololobo wrote:

For those with a short memory 🤔 see this thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Your-First-Computer/m-p/2193392

It felt like time for a reboot - and chance for newer members to get involved in the conversation 🙂

Kev

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Eeeps
Well-informed

OK - Don't want this to sound like The Four Yorkshiremen Sketch but here goes...

Mine was a home build (well a work build really) loosely based on the ZX81 - Known as the ZDX81 after the department that instigated the project in 1982.

Although based on the Z80 (still one of my favourite processors) it didn't really share too much with the ZX81. It would run most of the Basic programs however.

Of course we had it tough in those days; UV erasable proms to hold program code and all code developed in 8080 assembler on an Intel MDS80 with 51/4 inch floppy drives.

Fun times.

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Eeeps wrote:

OK - Don't want this to sound like The Four Yorkshiremen Sketch but here goes...

Mine was a home build (well a work build really) loosely based on the ZX81 - Known as the ZDX81 after the department that instigated the project in 1982.

Although based on the Z80 (still one of my favourite processors) it didn't really share too much with the ZX81. It would run most of the Basic programs however.

Of course we had it tough in those days; UV erasable proms to hold program code and all code developed in 8080 assembler on an Intel MDS80 with 51/4 inch floppy drives.

Fun times.

I photocopied a printed  cct board and it erased the EPROM 😀

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Atari 800XL

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Pars
Superfast

I'm another whose introduction to computing dates back to the 1980s.

At home this was a ZX81 home build kit rapidly followed by a 16K Spectrum that I upgraded to 48K.

At work it was a Commodore PET with tape drive.

M350 over FTTP

HughJarsse
Knows their stuff

'The first computer I worked with had 8K! You could do a lot in 8K in those days.'

8K.....8K!! my zx80 had just 1K, until I added a 4K rampack. Mind you, you could do a lot with 1K in Z80 machine code though!!

First 'proper' commercial computer I had dealings with at work, had the original 8 1/4 'floppy' disks...more like dinner plates. Massive green screen, and keyboard that sounded like a morse coder when used 'clack, clack, clack' (proper key switches rather than membranes in those days) and a huge dot matrix printer with rolls of the old sprocket sided paper with alternate green and white lines on them...(sounded like a machine gun when printing, they were placed in acoustic cabinets to (try) to reduce the noise!)

Them were the days................NOT!!😲

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

'The first computer I worked with had 8K! You could do a lot in 8K in those days.'

8K.....8K!! my zx80 had just 1K, until I added a 4K rampack. Mind you, you could do a lot with 1K in Z80 machine code though!!

The 8K machine was a business machine that was 6ft high and about 4ft by 4ft, not a tiny desktop!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ann_Droid
Up to speed

Hi

Mine was exactly the same as everyone else who posted here.

Single Binary Device that controlled the lighting in our house.  LIGHT switch.

NO we did not have a double light switch.

Did use a mechanical adding machine at school.

Eventually I upgraded to an 8 bit 48 KB Spectrum.

Never lived in Yorkshire, but they couldn't beat a single binary device could they?

All is Calm

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

My first computer was a Dragon32. The tape loading was slow. I used to press break and alter the game code which was invariably in basic so that I never died in any games. Was generally in the format if lives = 0 then lives = lives + 1, or if lives =5 then lives = lives + 1. I learned the "basics" of basic.

I then upgraded to a Commodore64. Wow the difference in graphics and sound. I found it harder to break into games to increase my lives as most where written in machine code, however I learnt Commodore Basic and a little bit of machine code.

I used to go into the local computer shop which had 2 C64's. I think it was called something like the Multi Coloured Compter Shop, it was supposed to be the first computer shop to open in the UK. The boss was great and gave lot's of discounts, however he knew little about programming but was really into games and new computers.

On one I used to input a few lines of  basic code  which had the background of the screen flashing with raster loading lines so customers (and staff) would stand waiting for the "game" to load, before eventually having to switch the computer off POKE 53280,x and POKE 53281,x in a repeating loop

The other one I used to do was a simple POKE 649,0    This disabled the keyboard so the computer had to be switched off .

Oh, the joys of Novaloader where we would get a cassette with around 50 games on, all of which loaded in seconds rather than 10 minutes.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali