cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird BQM Artefact

lotharmat
Community elder

Hi All,

Looking at my BQM last night there was a period of packet-loss followed by a period on increased latency (from 0200-0300)

9a8c019a8d71e02b154bd14593213e35ba333c17-14-09-2021

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9a8c019a8d71e02b154bd14593213e35ba333c17-14-09-2021

What is odd is that Roger_Gooner on here despite being at the opposite end (ish) of the country - has exactly the same thing at exactly the same time!

Does anyone know what would cause this?

Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I noticed that on my own BQM, and a couple of other live BQMs in the forum, although they weren't all showing EXACTLY the same start time.  It would seem likely from the implied phased impact and small hours timing that it was a planned traffic routing change whilst some piece of internet equipment was changed.  You can see it isn't altering the peaks which are mostly the last mile DOCSIS connection, but it is increasing the minimum latency by a regular 5ms.  That change might be on VM's network, it could be internet traffic routing to the TBB servers, or even maintenance on the servers themselves involving load shifting to an alternative DC say 40-50 miles further off.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I noticed that on my own BQM, and a couple of other live BQMs in the forum, although they weren't all showing EXACTLY the same start time.  It would seem likely from the implied phased impact and small hours timing that it was a planned traffic routing change whilst some piece of internet equipment was changed.  You can see it isn't altering the peaks which are mostly the last mile DOCSIS connection, but it is increasing the minimum latency by a regular 5ms.  That change might be on VM's network, it could be internet traffic routing to the TBB servers, or even maintenance on the servers themselves involving load shifting to an alternative DC say 40-50 miles further off.

Thanks Andrew! I appreciate that!

My BQM looks exactly the same even though we are on hub sites well over 100 miles apart. I suspect that this is more about TBB servers rather than something happening in VM's core network.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Screenshot of my BQM taken at 9pm Sept 14th 2021

BQM 9pm Sept 14th 2021BQM 9pm Sept 14th 2021

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm in the club too....  South Manchester 😎

Screenshot 2021-09-14 at 17.29.44.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

There's been a few of us at different parts of the country that suffered 4 distinct drops between 0300 and 0600 hrs on the 15th Sept

08ae9ae9f78c70b255e127329eaf3d1bc112a88d-15-09-2021

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yep me too.  Resegmentation perhaps?

Screenshot 2021-09-15 at 13.18.37.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

It won't be a resegmentation as this involves splitting a node to drive fibre deeper into the network served from the hub site, whereas what we are seeing goes across multiple hub sites.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection