Menu
ITMAZ
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin website insecure

I have signed up to the forum asam very unhappy customer only to find out that the site is REALLY insecure!! first of all you can flick back and forward and it holds everything open and free.

then when you sign up to the community each field tells me that the page is insecure and my details are open to the world !!

no wonder our details are phished, harvested and sold

0 Kudos
apacketofsweets
Rising star
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin website insecure

You need to understand what's actually going on here when you see this behavior in a web browser.

Flicking back and forth and keeping you logged in or similar is down to the website storing cookies in your web browser. The vast majority of websites do this so you don't have to do things like constantly logging back in.

Recently the major web browsers have started giving these 'Page is insecure' errors when you're asked to enter in information into a HTTP website, rather than HTTPS. For a number of websites, only offering a HTTP (not encrypted) page is not a huge issue if the data you're passing to that website is not particularly sensitive - for example on this forum, the only things that could be intercepted realistically if someone is monitoring your connection to this site is the username and password you're using to login and what you're posting on the forum, rather than anything you do else where on the Internet. This would instantly be a lot more problematic if you were getting these errors when logging into your email or bank online for example.

There's more info on this here - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/your-connection-to-this-site-is-not-secure-is-n...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I work for Virgin Media, all posts here are my own views, written in my own time. My advice should not be taken as gospel, I could be wrong. Please don't PM me if you require an official VM reponse.
ITMAZ
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

will investigate further but thanks for the reply.

0 Kudos
jock1e
Dialled in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I am led to believe if there is no money transfers on the site it does not need to be secure. I hope that I got that right,
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

jock1e wrote:
I am led to believe if there is no money transfers on the site it does not need to be secure. I hope that I got that right,

Encrypting the web

The web is in the middle of a massive change from non-secure HTTP to the more secure HTTPS protocol. All web servers use one of these two protocols to get web pages from the server to your browser. HTTP has serious problems that make it vulnerable to eavesdropping and content hijacking. HTTPS fixes most of these problems. That's why EFF, and many like-minded supporters, have been pushing for web sites to adopt HTTPS by default. As of 2016, about half of all web page visits use HTTPS. This is a big improvement over the past, but we still have work to do.

[Source https://www.eff.org/encrypt-the-web]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

ITMAZ wrote:

then when you sign up to the community each field tells me that the page is insecure and my details are open to the world !!

no wonder our details are phished, harvested and sold

Yes the behaviour is wrong and Virgin Media need to address this; HTTP connection to the community forum should be redirected to HTTPS.

BTW, why did you not heed the warning issued by Firefox?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos