cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin installing new cabinets in my area

billyg051
On our wavelength

Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows what virgin are up to in my area. We've had virgin in my area for years, since the telewest days, now virgin are installing new smaller cabinets next to their existing ones. Is this their new FTTP? 

19 REPLIES 19

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@billyg051 wrote:

Ah ok that makes sense. I wonder if they'll upgrade me to that once the build is complete 🤔 

It's unlikely. XGS-PON will be a new tier of connections in addition to the DOCSIS kit already running. So its likely you will be able to choose to stay with DOCSIS packages, or migrate to an XGS-PON package with the loss of broadcast TV services (V360) in favour of Stream.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@billyg051 wrote:

Ahh ok that's interesting, once the build is complete would my Coax be upgraded to FTTP?

DOCSIS over the existing HFC and RFoG networks will continue for a long time, and I expect that your coax will only be replaced if necessary, e.g. you upgrade your broadband to a level which is only available via XGS-PON or VM decides to rip out decades-old problematic coax in a certain area.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@nodrogd wrote:

@billyg051 wrote:

Ah ok that makes sense. I wonder if they'll upgrade me to that once the build is complete 🤔 

It's unlikely. XGS-PON will be a new tier of connections in addition to the DOCSIS kit already running. So its likely you will be able to choose to stay with DOCSIS packages, or migrate to an XGS-PON package with the loss of broadcast TV services (V360) in favour of Stream.

Customers with 360 boxes will not be offered the inferior Stream product which has no recording capability. What will happen is that the fibre will carry broadband and an RF-moduated downstream frequency for video with a different ONT to carry out the conversion to RF for the 360 and provide an Ethernet port for a router. This will be an interim solution as VM must keep millions of TV boxes until RF is abandoned and the holy grail is achieved when video is carried via IP.

--

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

@billyg051 wrote:

Customers with 360 boxes will not be offered the inferior Stream product which has no recording capability. What will happen is that the fibre will carry broadband and an RF-moduated downstream frequency for video with a different ONT to carry out the conversion to RF for the 360 and provide an Ethernet port for a router. This will be an interim solution as VM must keep millions of TV boxes until RF is abandoned and the holy grail is achieved when video is carried via IP.

Hmm I dispute that. Negotiations are happening over cloud recording functionality. There is just one major broadcaster against it, and probably not the one you think. It will either be the IP Stream or a new variant of the box for majority. Small deployments might happen like you say until negotiations are concluded, but VM want rid of legacy DVB-C; it's expensive to run.

Probably a case of we'll agree to disagree.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@unisoft wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

@billyg051 wrote:

Hmm I dispute that. Negotiations are happening over cloud recording functionality. There is just one major broadcaster against it, and probably not the one you think. It will either be the IP Stream or a new variant of the box for majority. Small deployments might happen like you say until negotiations are concluded, but VM want rid of legacy DVB-C; it's expensive to run.

Probably a case of we'll agree to disagree.

Its not just VM that wants cloud functionality working. This functionality is built into most of the TV providers latest streaming boxes now. Sky is looking at pulling out of the satellite distribution market by the end of the decade, & with VM aiming to complete their fibre overbuild by 2028, their broadcast box switch off is likely to come around the same time.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

IAN50
Joining in

Hi. Wot area do you live in.? I'm Merseyside area...

Fibre to the cabinets is nearly finished in Liverpool. It remains to be seen when customers get migrated to fibre.

--

Yorkist
On our wavelength

Client62, does that mean the OMNI box will be on the outside of the property as in an ONT?

My property has the co-ax direct into the inside, terminating into an oblong enclosure.  I take it this will all change?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Yorkist wrote:

Client62, does that mean the OMNI box will be on the outside of the property as in an ONT?

My property has the co-ax direct into the inside, terminating into an oblong enclosure.  I take it this will all change?

With XGS-PON customers will be provided with a Hub 5x, which has a fibre port in place of the coaxial connection (bottom of the attached image).

VM_PIA_hub5x_connection.jpg

Yorkist
On our wavelength

Thanks for the image nodrogd.  The "green" connector with "white" cable in.  o.k.

VM engineer stated our neck of the woods (Hatfield not being upgraded for one to one and half years).  Not bothered as my needs are met within co-ax bandwidth.