cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin installing new cabinets in my area

billyg051
On our wavelength

Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows what virgin are up to in my area. We've had virgin in my area for years, since the telewest days, now virgin are installing new smaller cabinets next to their existing ones. Is this their new FTTP? 

19 REPLIES 19

unisoft
Well-informed

@billyg051 wrote:

Hi,

Wondering if anyone knows what virgin are up to in my area. We've had virgin in my area for years, since the telewest days, now virgin are installing new smaller cabinets next to their existing ones. Is this their new FTTP? 

I would think so. Sometimes they split nodes to deal with over utilisation, but that doesn't usually mean a new cabinet next to the old.

What area is this; like being nosey 😉

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes, it is FTTP overbuild. This usually follows the phone switchover. It’s happening in Hemel Hempstead & St. Albans now.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

billyg051
On our wavelength

Ahh ok that's interesting, once the build is complete would my Coax be upgraded to FTTP?

billyg051
On our wavelength

Liverpool, BT have just started FTTP work on my road so Looks like virgin have jumped on the band wagon 😂 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@billyg051 wrote:

Ahh ok that's interesting, once the build is complete would my Coax be upgraded to FTTP?

This is in preparation for VM offering XGS-PON services (already being trialed) in the next few years, therefore moving away from the traditional DOCSIS cable kit.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

billyg051
On our wavelength

So at the moment would they terminate the fibre outside my house and then use coax for the final run?

In the VM RFoG solution a fibre is run in a single segment from the street cabinet to an OMNI box on your property.

Then coax runs from the OMNI box to the Hub or TV kit.

Ah ok that makes sense. I wonder if they'll upgrade me to that once the build is complete 🤔 

One would expect so.

The RFoG connections could bring improved network capacity to some of the heavily used HFC areas.