cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin dynamic IP

saxophone21
On our wavelength

Does Virgin customer domain name remain the same even if the dynamic IP changes?

I need to know this for monitoring CCTV via the web as I really need the access path not to change.

The domain name is something like:

abc123456-city10-1-1-cust123.15-1.cable.virginm.net which resolves to IP: 12.3.456.78. If the IP changes to 23.4.567.89 will the customer domain remain constant automatically point to the new IP address?

Are customer domains ever changed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@saxophone21 wrote:

Not sure how the Virgin Hub 3.0 can be set to work with DDNS as required by No-IP?

Alas you can't, the VM hubs simply don't have any ability to do this, they are quite feature-lite but designed for a mass market where the majority will never do anything other than use them out of the box.

What you would need to do is have something running permanently on your LAN which monitors the current WAN address and notifies the DDNS provider accordingly.

By the way it's not a 'customer domain' as such, what you quoted in the first post is a reverse DNS entry (rDNS) which points back to your current IP address. The addresses on VM tend to stay static for ages and only really change if there is a network re-segmentation to better balance loads. In which case I would expect the rDNS to change anyway.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not sure about a full technical answer to your question.  However, VM dynamic IP addresses tend to be very sticky even if not static.  My VM IP address has been the same since Dec 2020.

I think that the 'domain address' that you mention is the headend that your broadband connection is attached to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for the response Graham. I do appreciate that Virgin's dynamic IPs aren't very dynamic but should the IP change when I have no access to check, it would be a tad inconvenient. I have set up access to my CCTV via the IP and separately via the Domain so that if the IP does change and the Domain doesn't, I still have access. I do have an IP monitor program that appraises me of changes but it's not particularly helpful (although it does the job admirably) as I use a VPN. Anyway, it would be nice to reasured that the customer domain is, for all intents and purposes, static.

Cheers

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Easiest way is to buy a cheap domain name and set up DDNS. That’s what I do.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

saxophone21
On our wavelength

Thanks Tudor. I have several domain names so I'll look into that option.

Cheers

@saxophone21 wrote:

it would be nice to reasured that the customer domain is, for all intents and purposes, static.

Its not so use no-ip

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for clarifying. Not the answer I wanted but hey-ho.

Not sure how the Virgin Hub 3.0 can be set to work with DDNS as required by No-IP?

@saxophone21 wrote:

Alas you can't, the VM hubs simply don't have any ability to do this, they are quite feature-lite but designed for a mass market where the majority will never do anything other than use them out of the box.

What you would need to do is have something running permanently on your LAN which monitors the current WAN address and notifies the DDNS provider accordingly.

By the way it's not a 'customer domain' as such, what you quoted in the first post is a reverse DNS entry (rDNS) which points back to your current IP address. The addresses on VM tend to stay static for ages and only really change if there is a network re-segmentation to better balance loads. In which case I would expect the rDNS to change anyway.

Looks like I'll just have to keep an eye on the IP and hope that it is almost static. Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.