Menu
Highlighted
philjohn
Superfast
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

VOIP and Video Conf performance on SH3?

VM have recently enabled my street with a RFOG FTTP install method, which means there's no phone line available. Don't really want to keep shelling out another £18 on top of the VM fee for a landline so looking at porting my current number to Sipgate and doing VOIP.

I also work from home once or twice a week and have a few meetings over Cisco video conferencing.

So, my question is - those of you on the SH3 and using VOIP and/or video conferencing ... do the Puma 6 latency spike issues cause any discernible problems when using either of those? Does the audio in calls drop out momentarily, or does video break up when it happens?

I'll be running the SH3 in modem mode with a Netgear R7800 behind it (running LEDE/OpenWRT) so no issues with SIP ALG.

Ready to pull the trigger as the faster download speed would be a boon for my needs, but obviously reticent as there's still no fix in place (and indeed, it doesn't look like the fix even works, it just puts ICMP through a faster path hence "faking" a fix).

0 Kudos
paul0363
Up to speed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: VOIP and Video Conf performance on SH3?

Can't talk about video conferencing but I have a DrayTel VOiP connection that I use to call my brother in the Netherlands.  He's also on DrayTel and uses Ziggo's "Connect Box" (which is the same as the Hub 3).  We've had no problems with drop-outs, dropped calls or any other issue.  Call quality has been fine.

I also need to use a VPN  and VOiP phone (soft VOiP phone with a headset that plugs into the PC) when working from home - no issues there either!

PS: I'm also in a network expansion FTTP RFoG area (Dunfermline, Fife)

philjohn
Superfast
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the response, it's good to know that other people are using VOIP successfully, I've ordered now and install date is in a couple of weeks - I've decided to keep the BT Infinity 2 connection live until it's been installed so I can compare on the two, but I'm feeling far less reticent now.

Hope you're enjoying the added speed!

Phil.

0 Kudos
Tudor
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wise move in keeping the BT connection until the VM one is tested.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
philjohn
Superfast
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep, have read enough on here about the potential congestion problems!

0 Kudos
moof
Superfast
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

currently using VoIP with soho66, and my SH3 in modem mode. works a treat IMHO

up until then it was a SH2...

Rarely get echoing or the water sound effect issue that you sometimes experience with a laggy VoIP line.

I guess the only catch is, no Internet no phone

philjohn
Superfast
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yep, luckily mobile reception here is excellent, so I'm not too worried about that aspect - thanks for letting me know how it's working for you!

0 Kudos
Timwilky
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I use my SH3 in modem mode and have multiple voip connections from Sipgate.

Two Sipgate basic SIP lines, one to an ATA the second to a polycom phone.

Then it gets interesting, I also have a 3 link SIP trunk to a cheap Asterisk appliance I think the SIP trunk costs me about a fiver a month and the two SIP lines about twenty quid a year pay as you go. BT/Virgin line charges are a ridiculous model. So twentieth century rip off.

BTW, they work well with a SH3 (In modem mode)
philjohn
Superfast
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Timwilky,

Great to hear your experience, definitely more VOIP than I'll be doing! Smiley Happy

My connection went live last night and I've done a few tests and you're correct, SH3 in modem mode, VOIP is absolutely fine.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos