cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VMedia Hub 5

svildes
Tuning in

Dear Madam / Sir,

I've heard that the new Router  is being rolled out to selected customers only (via invitation for now). Would you be able to check if I had been invited and, if not, could you explain please how the selection process works? I've been with VM for ages (incl. mobile) and would kind of expect to be considered for this swap. Also, my devices complain about weak security when I connect to the Hub which is why I would love to get rid of this Hub3 asap.

Many thanks / kind regards
Antonio 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You may not want to swap your hub 3 for a hub 5 after doing some further reading on how it is working at present for some customers.

Have a look through the 'Networking and Wifi' forum at the very large number of topics about hub 5 issues. It is very much a 'trial' device that is being offered rather than an 'upgrade' with the equipment in its present format/firmware.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You may not want to swap your hub 3 for a hub 5 after doing some further reading on how it is working at present for some customers.

Have a look through the 'Networking and Wifi' forum at the very large number of topics about hub 5 issues. It is very much a 'trial' device that is being offered rather than an 'upgrade' with the equipment in its present format/firmware.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Antonio, 

The hub5 invitation is a soft launch before any updates are applied for the numerous issues which you can read about in the broadband forums.

I would advise if your current hub3 is working OK then you shouldn't consider thinking that newer means better perfomance. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

From reading the current hub5 issues people have been incorrectly emailed to switch to the new hub when they either have a phone line through the hub or a VM booster, neither of which work with the hub 5, and may also be a reason why you were one of the fortunate ones not to have been selected yet.

The weak security messages are generally due to Apple devices and are a result of Apple being over zealous.

It may be related to the  Networking-and-WiFi/iOS-14-Weak-Security/td-p/4410050  post or also <<< this post >>> 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi goslow,

many thanks for your input ... are we, or some of us, being used as Guinea pigs here?

Anyway, I'll keep my feet still for now and see what's happing in the next few months concerning the Hub5.

Cheerio

Hi newapollo,
thanks for your feedback, I'll see if it helps to change the security settings in my Hub.
Best

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@svildes wrote:

Hi goslow,

many thanks for your input ... are we, or some of us, being used as Guinea pigs here?

<snip>

Yes!

@svildes wrote:

Hi goslow,

Well you might think that, I, of course, couldn't possibly comment

Anyway, I'll keep my feet still for now and see what's happing in the next few months concerning the Hub5.

Possibly a wise decision.

Cheerio

so if you have a VM booster you should not get email to switch to the hub 5 i thought the hub 5 had better wifi so you might not need the booster. ive asked many times for the hub 5 to be told its not being rolled out yet.
but the engineer who called told me to keep phoneing and asking for one as the wifi on the hub 4 rubbish and so is the booster ive had to buy bt mini discs to get decent wifi in my house

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It Russian roulette selection, everyone selected gets a bullet!

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2