cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Usenet access is being removed / closing

Tazz
Rising star

Just a heads up for anyone still using Virgin Media UseNet Service, I received this today:

Hello,

We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform.

We hope you want to continue enjoying your Virgin Media service. If not, call us on on 150 from a Virgin Media home phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 by 30th July to cancel your contract without early disconnection charges.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

55 REPLIES 55

I think I might sign up for a month to see what it's like. Less than $5 I think I recall last time I looked. If it suits me, I'll probably then just go for an annual account ...

Make sure you also budget for the annual Virgin Media 10% cost increase.

They've just had me for another three or four quid a month in the last few weeks. Usual email with the thin pretence that they are improving the service up to the level that I am already paying for anyway. I don't actually see why my subscription should be paying to upgrade their network. It already performs to the level that I want and pay for. Stop 'giving' me extra speed and TV channels that I haven't asked for, and stop putting my bill up way beyond inflation every few months. If you want to improve your network to catch new customers, charge them for it, not me. Oh sorry, forgot. Loyalty is not an issue, is it ? Give all the deals to the new customers, and hammer the existing ones to pay for it ...

@Pingouin wrote:

Make sure you also budget for the annual Virgin Media 10% cost increase.

Imagine the cost of resources going up year on year and businesses putting their costs up to cover said increased resource costs - it's unheard of...!! 🙄

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

Imagine the cost of resources going up year on year by 4 times the inflation. It's unheard of. Oh wait, I did hear it from Virgin Media last year... and the year before that... and the one before that as well to think of it.

You are clearly missing the point. I am in business personally, and completely understand that costs need to increase - but only for valid reasons, such as inflation. The increases that VM levy are way beyond inflation, and more often than they need to be. The emails that they send each time to announce these increases become ever more ludicrous in the ways that they seek to justify them. When are they going to understand that if someone pays for a package that suits them, they don't want 'automatic upgrades' to speeds and TV channels that they have neither asked for nor want. They might be 'free' for a couple of months, but then Bang ! In comes the "Sorry but we've got to put yor package price up 'coz we've improved our network and provided you with all these new things !" email. A while back, they told me that my package now included some sports channel or other, which was a justification for it costing more. Why me ? I don't watch sport, I don't have any premium sports channels in my package. I simply wasn't something that I wanted, or wanted to pay for. They are also sneaky the way they divide genres of broadcaster across multiple packages. It's all designed to cynically lever as much cash out of you as they possibly can.
Don't get me wrong. I am happy with the physical service that I get from them. My broadband is fast and reliable. My TV service works and I am happy with it in general. I just don't want to be continuously taken advantage of as a loyal customer with their beyond-inflation price increases and smoke and mirrors declared reasons for them ...

@jbrennand:
I have just switched over to Eternal September and it is excellent! Many thanks indeed for the heads up!

Again though. ES is text groups only

jbrennand : I have always used the "Eternal September" server. It's totally free, very reliable, complete, and fast.

Thanks for that. I am now signed-up and it seems to be working well, suits my needs.

CarolB333 : Why are they removing all Usenet access??

Presumably because they no longer believe the cost of providing and supporting the service is justified, to save money or spend that money on something else.

I can't imagine the servers see many users these days, though I could be wrong. Most people I know have never heard of "newsgroups" let alone "usenet", and even those who have don't use them.