cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VM Usenet access is being removed / closing

Tazz
Rising star

Just a heads up for anyone still using Virgin Media UseNet Service, I received this today:

Hello,

We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform.

We hope you want to continue enjoying your Virgin Media service. If not, call us on on 150 from a Virgin Media home phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 by 30th July to cancel your contract without early disconnection charges.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

55 REPLIES 55

stjamespark
On our wavelength

Rumours on USENET claim that VM is to withdraw USENET on June 30th (2021)

Ism this true?

Correct, I have received my letter today 😞

Get less, pay more.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
There are no VM specific groups on there so it makes sense really.

I have always used the "Eternal September" server. It's totally free, very reliable, complete, and fast. I tend to only use it for the Mac related groups though so don't know how complete it is for other groups or Binaries.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Yep, I've just given me 30 days' notice within 10 mins of receiving the email, much less hassle than when I tried to go through a package upgrade a few months ago.

Looks like I've pulled 166GB through Virgin's usenet since reformatting around 10 months ago so it's not an inconsequential loss.

gcarter
Superfast

Just received this email...

We wanted to give you a heads-up that the Usenet platform is being removed from the Virgin Media service on 30th June 2021. After this time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform.

We hope you want to continue enjoying your Virgin Media service. If not, call us on on 150 from a Virgin Media home phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 by 30th July to cancel your contract without early disconnection charges.

Kind regards,

The Virgin Media team

... clear enough notification.  

However what's not clear, is whether physical access to postings on news.virginmedia.com will be no more?  The email states and I quote " After this time you will not be able to add or remove content from the platform"

... again its not clear whether this will be a complete nuking of the entire newsgroup platform or as stated, just the ability to add and remove content?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

The actual Usenet content will still be there, unchanged.

You will no longer be able to see it via a Virgin server. You'll need another server to see it and add to it, except for the Virgin group.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Please be quite clear. When VM use the term 'platform', they mean 'server'. I.e. VM are closing their (free) usenet server at news.virginmedia.com; they are not intending to block all access to usenet. Is that correct?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Virgin Media don't own Usenet and its many newsgroups.  They have until now provided access to Usenet for its customers.  

When that stops you will need to find another service to access Usenet. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
I have used the free "Eternal September" USENET server for years it works just fine and will continue to do so when VM close down their server.

However, it is only for text based groups AFAIK

https://www.eternal-september.org/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.