cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading an area to VoIP

Luqybb91
Dialled in

So I've read about Virgin switching all of their customers over to VoIP by 2025. I've also read on this forum, that Virgin is only offering the VoIP service to new customers. So my questions are; what is stopping Virgin from giving it to existing customers? and, does it require Virgin to run new lines, or make changes at the cabinet, like installing new hardware?

17 REPLIES 17

spgray
Problem sorter
where did you read it's only for new customers?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

On one of the threads in this forum, apparently, existing customers that want to switch are told they can't. 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Luqybb91 wrote:

So I've read about Virgin switching all of their customers over to VoIP by 2025. I've also read on this forum, that Virgin is only offering the VoIP service to new customers. So my questions are; what is stopping Virgin from giving it to existing customers? and, does it require Virgin to run new lines, or make changes at the cabinet, like installing new hardware?

Most likely this is new equipment at the headend rather than in the cabinets.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It doesn't make sense for new and house move customers to get a traditional landline and then migrate them off it within a few years, so they get the phone via the hub 3 or hub 4. It also suits VM to do this installation for the relatively small number of customers pending the big migration of the existing 4.6m.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Would Virgin switch an existing customer over to voip if they rang in and asked for the switch? 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Luqybb91 wrote:

Would Virgin switch an existing customer over to voip if they rang in and asked for the switch? 

That is a question that only VM staff could answer.  Have you tried ringing in to ask the question: 

The numbers to ring are 150 free from a VM mobile or landline, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone (chargeable as standard UK landline phone no.).

As this is a 'chatter' forum then you are unlikely to get a VM staff response to this post.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM’s VoIP is not what most people consider VoIP to be. It’s just  a plain old telephone connection presented on the VM Hub3/4 via an RJ11 socket and uses an converter cable to plug in a normal telephone handset. You do NOT use VoIP telephone handsets like other VoIP installations. So not much different from a normal telephone line.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

But isn't that technically voip? Your voice is being transmitted using the same coax cable that plugs into the hub3/4.

Oh it was just a question out of curiosity. I'm contemplating whether I should even do it, but I'll ring just to see what they say.