Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Understanding install and pre-site survey

Hi There

Anyone out there able to help me understand what Virgin mean by a pre-site survey?   Before I ordered I asked if I can influence where the cabling comes into the house and I was told about the pre-site survey.   I booked one in but it then vanished from my online portal.   I chased up with Virgin who said they'd be in touch but while I was out they've cabled to the front of the house and put their casing on the outside which suggests they've decide where the cable will go in anyway!

Ideally I'd like to cable to my office which is on an exterior wall on the first floor where I have pre-installed CAT5/6 cables to key areas in the house.  Is that a reasonable ask?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Understanding install and pre-site survey

the cable will run to an external box [omnibox] thats usually at the front of the property at ground level in a convenient position to allow easy running of the cable from the pavement

from there they drill through the external wall and connect an internal box - the tech who does that will look to make it as easy as he can for himself - thats where you need to know what you want and be insistent - no reason that the external cable cannot be run round the property and rise one floor and through the wall into you office

well there is one reason - its a bit of work for the tech - some will be happy to do it others not so - so work out a route and be insistent - the hub should be where you want it not where they want to put it

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

the hub should be where you want it not where they want to put it

well, assuming it's actually physically possible to do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

One thing you will need to be aware of as well. If you have ordered VM's TV service and want the TV in a different room to the cable entry point then VM will need to install an external splitter to allow this to happen. My installation is like that. The main cable entry point is on then ground floor of my house. That terminates internally in a socket for the coax feed to the TV box. Externally the wall box has a splitter installed from which runs an external wall mounted cable up to my office. That provides the coax feed to the Hub in the same way as the TV coax feed.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

HowardML's installation sounds very similar to mine, so definitely possible.  Although mine was installed at least fifteen years ago.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham.   Early adopter 😀

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard, that's really useful.   That's exactly what I'd like to do.   Now I know what to ask for.   Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Also bear in mind that if yu are having the V6 box that needs to be connected to the Hub, preferably by an Ethernet connection, but provided the wifi is good that will work too. Unlike the original TiVO the V6 has no internal modem of its own and it uses the Hub.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

my connection is split internally, so it's not always an external split.

in fact, originally i had the cable enter the property above the front door, it was then split with one cable going to the bedroom (for TV) and the other going to the living room, which was then split again to give two feeds (one for hub and one for TV).

i removed the bedroom feed and splitter and it appeared to have been installed by an ape.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

With just the one TV and the comments about the V6 requiring the hub next to it, it seems that taking the coaxial cable into my living room is the only option and then ethernet cabling elsewhere.   Thanks everyone for their comments.

What's outstanding from my initial question and still puzzles me is the sales team use of the term 'pre-site survey'.   Though one was promised before I signed up it doesn't appear to exist and what I understand from customer service is that the event is simply the time when engineers cable from the street and leaving a coil of cable.   

My pre site survey has now taken place.   The cable was laid on the driveway when I was out and an omnibox has been fixed to the wall.   All I wanted was a conversation before they did that.   Some cabling to the wall was attempted but where a pile of leaves got in the way, the cable was just left on top of the leaves.   Is it too much to ask for a tidy job in consultation with the owner of the property?

0 Kudos