Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding WiFi - why you are not getting the speed you expect

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this tutorial:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#:~:text=The%20weakest%20link%3A%20Wifi%20throughpu....

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Good one for users to read and understand around wifi speeds.  But as I've said here and on other Forums, end user expectations should be made very clear when upgrading speeds, especially 1GB.  Some users expect 1GB not matter what device they use, Property they live in or WiFI "pollution" in the area.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@Adduxi user expectations should be made very clear when upgrading speeds, especially 1GB

That would be nice, but I suspect that a quick "wifi speeds may vary depending on device and local conditions" won't register with most customers who will be excited at the prospect of upgrading to 1 Gbps to watch cat videos on their iPad, and a more involved and accurate explanation will be beyond the interest or understanding of those customers who will be surprised and disappointed that wifi doesn't deliver 1 Gbps.     

And for the poor blighters in a sales call centre, they're routinely measured on how long each call takes, and the outcome.  They get incentives for selling well, if they take too long and don't handle enough calls they're put on a "performance plan", and if they don't meet the standard they're fired.  They won't want to put doubt in customers minds at the point of sale.