Menu
Patrickb122
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The app is not able to start correctly

Hi there.

I don't know what happen with my laptop (Dell 15.6" Alienware 15 R4 Notebook)... I updated my OS from Windows 8.1 to 10, after this whenever I open Microsoft Office Excel 2016 an error message pops out saying that it is not able to start correctly. How to overcome this?

I am hoping someone in this community could provide me with some answers.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: The app is not able to start correctly

Have you followed these instructions yet?

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/repair-an-office-application-7821d4b6-7c1d-4205-aa0e-a6b40c...
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
brad12ma
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

To work around this problem, you can fix Excel or disable hardware acceleration until a fix is released by your video card manufacturer. Make sure to check regularly for updates to your video card driver.
To disable hardware acceleration, follow these steps:

1. Start any Office program.
  2. On the File tab, select Options.
  3. In the Options dialog box, select Advanced.
  4. In the list of available options, select the Disable hardware graphics acceleration check box.
    The following screen shot shows this option in Excel.[​IMG]
  5. Select OK.
lorein0688
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Well, this is common problem any users are struggling with while trying to open Excel or any other application.  And to fix it try the given solutions:

1: Update office as well as Windows 10 to latest patches from Microsoft site. Microsoft keeping releasing Office and Windows 10 patches to correct known errors.

2: You may login to Windows with a new user profile and see if it helps.

3: Turn off Hey Cortana and restart your computer (useful particularly if Excel performance is slow).

4: In some cases the add-ins can cause the problem, so check if the add-ins are causing the problem start the Excel in safe mode and check if the problem is resolved.

If Yes then start Excel normally and disable the add-ins one by one > start Excel again every time you disable an add-in to identify which add-in is causing the issue.  

Follow the steps to start Excel in safe mode 

• Hold CTRL key and click on Excel icon or
  • In the Search Box above Windows icon, type "Excel /s" without quotes and enter.

hope this works in your case

source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/excel-2016-will-not-start/6e4e1480-0962-403a-...

http://www.repairmsexcel.com/blog/13-ways-to-repair-corrupt-excel-file

0 Kudos