Menu
Alfabet
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Tech support scam - what did they do?

Hi

Unfortunately my mum fell victim to the tech support scam and kindly gave the scammers remote access to her computer, although fortunately she didn't part with any payment. The scammers had access to her computer for quite a long time, but she does recall what they were doing.

Are there any logs I can look at in Windows to see what they might have been up to? I'm particularly concerned to find out whether they lifted documents off the computer ?

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Tech support scam - what did they do?

There probably isn't a log, it may be worth trying to work out what remote software they used and see if that includes some sort of log..

You may be able to look at recent documents, google how to find recent documents in your mums version of windows (or whatever os is on her computer).

However most important thing is to stop any further damage as its likely they may have installed something on your mums computer to send key events or some other nasty stuff.

Also did your mum give any card details.... anyway google what to do after falling for this kind of scam.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/what-should-you-do-after-falling-for-a-fake-it-support-scam/

https://www.lifewire.com/i-just-fell-for-a-pc-support-scam-now-what-2487799

etc

good luck

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Normally they syskey a machine locking up windows with a password and hell of annoying to.fix
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alfabet
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies. No card details were given, glad to say. I'm planning to return the computer to factory settings next.

Fortunately most documents were saved on Dropbox anyway.

0 Kudos