Menu
Sparky89uk
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

TV with DVB-C

Hi there,

I recently brought a Flatscreen tv which has a connection for DVB-C to connect directly to a cable service to recieve channels from cable (FTA not subscription channels). On testing I noticed I could recieve a number of FTA tv channels such as BBC 1 etc. However the TV has a slot for a viewing card to enable you to unlock premium tv channels. Is there anyway I could setup an account with virgin media whereby they could provide me with a viewing card to use with my own TV rather than having a TIVO box which would be under the agreement that as its 3rd party hardware no support is offered? . It was a question I wanted to ask before I consider whether to switch to virgin media?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV with DVB-C

dont think they would issue a 2nd viewing card, since think the viewing card is linked to the box, not harm in asking thou, also don't think the forum team wouldn't issue this would need to have a chat with customer services.. also think there is a part in terms in conditions about not connecting 3rd party hardware to the network. 

took a look -> 

1. Except for Virgin TV Anywhere, which you may use in accordance with the Virgin TV Anywhere terms and conditions you may not use any reception equipment to receive the television service other than the equipment we have provided to you for the express purpose of receiving the television service (such as a set-top box).
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV with DVB-C

Virgin is a closed cable system, so only TV boxes provided by the operator are allowed. These are enabled by MAC address & not viewing cards, which is more secure.

DVB-C tuners are provided on these TV's for use on "open" cable systems in other parts of Europe. The UK & Ireland operate closed systems so only the main public service channels are required to be unencrypted.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos