cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch telephone 2 wire system to Telephone over single wire VOIP using modem

tmarkedwards
Tuning in

I want to ditch my current dual parrellel cable system and use the two sockets on the back of my modem. Is there a cost implication since, as I understand it, this can be done remotely if I can get hold of the dongle that plugs into the back of said modem?

Modem has two phone sockets. Are these for potentially 2 seperate phone numbers or can they be used for two phones with the same phone number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello

The 21CV system has the same functions as the old twisted pair, the only thing is the lose of phone when you have a power cut.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

You can't. The telephony sockets are not activated by default on the Hub3. Only when your area is designated for a move to the new system. That will be done in stages up to 2025 and you will be notified when it will happen and provided with the adaptor. Only one socket will be enabled by default for one connection with one number. 

Without going into too much detail the new system isn't true VOIP. It is more correctly described as 21CV so look it up!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@tmarkedwards wrote:

I want to ditch my current dual parrellel cable system and use the two sockets on the back of my modem. <snip>

Is there a specific reason for wanting to move to the 21CV connection? It's a downgrade in service IMHO, even though we're all destined to get it eventually. Just curious.

Last time i had a techy support guy here, he said he could phone up on the spot and have it done so I presume that means that my area is ready for the switch.

In what way is it a downgrade? I just wanted to reduce the number of wires comming through my wall.

If your hub isn't working, for whatever reason, then your 21CV phone won't work either. Numerous and regular mentions on the forums about customers being moved over to 21CV only to find that their home alarm systems or medical/personal alarms won't work reliably when needed. Not much use in having an alarm hooked up to the landline if you can't be confident it will work when you need it.

The 21CV connection also removes the independent means of a backup system to contact VM in the case of a broadband outage/problem as the phone won't work if the broadband is out. Mobile is the obvious alternative option but not necessarily so for some groups of users who may depend on their landline.

Everyone will get that type of connection by 2025 but IMO the 21CV landline will be a fairly pointless thing in the long term as mobile will simply be a more reliable means of communicating.

VM info. page here if you want to read more about it

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone/virginphone#whatishappening

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think if anything 21CV will be the saviour of what is now the landline service. I have just moved my second line from a fixed type over to VoIP. The call package prices are about the same but without a line rental charge. The calls you do pay for are one third of PAYG mobile costs. There are also no time limitations on calls, so no re-dialling. I can also choose to host two mobile phones as extensions of my “landline” to use on WiFi or via data. The box the landline phone plugs into can be used on any internet connection, so my landline number can go anywhere I choose to go. No need for number porting or any area code restrictions.

If you go abroad you can still use the extensions, so if you use WiFi there are no roaming charges.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I should have clarified ... I think the important distinction is between a true VOIP service (which has many advantages and useful features which you have listed) and the 21CV service which, as-is right now in its present format, is just a less-functional replacement for the old PSTN lines.

Accepting that the new sytem is not true VOIP, in what way is it 'Less functional' than VM's current phone wire system? The main advanatge of the new system is that it is one less wire having ro come through the wall of the house. Should i just leave well enough alone?

Hello

The 21CV system has the same functions as the old twisted pair, the only thing is the lose of phone when you have a power cut.

Regards Mike