cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds on RG11 v RG6

mda99das
Up to speed

Does anyone have their VM router connected via RG11 coax rather than RG6 from the exchange to hub with no splices?

How is the speed?

Was just thinking ahead and DOCSIS 4.0 will allow 10GB/S speed, but I assume that the weak link would be the "last mile"

Would it be better to have RG11 all the way to the premises for the time being?

Openreach in my area have given a timeline for 2026, but given the huge amount of debt and changing fiscal policy, I could see this getting pushed back further.

Openreach are rolling out FTTP, but technically most people have FTTC including most VM customers. The coax cable does allow a higher speed of data and bandwidth rather than twisted pair, which is those that are on VDSL only get about 65mbps.

15 REPLIES 15

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM are not going to use DOCSIS 4.0, they have publicly stated that they are converting all their network to full fibre from coax.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

that's really interesting.

Do you have a link to that?

RG11 is sometimes used when there would be too much attenuation were the regular RG6 to be used. You do not have a choice in this.

Once proper cables are used, whether coax or fibre, you get the same speeds. DOCSIS 3.0 is used with the exception that 1Gbps has one DOCSIS 3.1 downstream channel.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mda99das wrote:

that's really interesting.

Do you have a link to that?

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/07/virgin-media-o2-to-replace-existing-uk-network-with-fu...

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The engineer came to tidy things up for me, Kelly left about 40m of the RG11 cable excess, so I now have a direct connection from my hub to the exchange with no splicing or breaks in the RG11 cable.

I asked him about plans for DOCSIS 4 and he said that the senior management team will try and push for FTTP, but  this depends on how much progress openreach can make. NW London is one of the last areas to get FTTP, however they will run DOCSIS 4 in tandem where infrastructure allows. 

For now at least the infrastructure is in place for my setup should I upgrade my speed. It was exhausting, and required careful planning, which is why I wanted to do it once and be done with it for a very long time...

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It’s highly unlikely that VM will ever use DOCSIS 4.0 as there would be a huge cost in purchasing new equipment. They have already publicly stated that the network will be all fibre by 2028.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

That's what I was thinking, but the technician seemed to think otherwise. With time fibre will become cheaper.

For clarification, VM will be making its entire network fibre-capable but this does not mean that everyone will converted to fibre. The existing HFC network will be in use for a long time.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The intention is, just as is happening with the landline system, that new installs & then upgrades will go to FTTP first. However, in most locations this will require either bigger cabinets or doubling up of the existing ones. It will also probably require a serious cleanup of the ducts to remove redundant cables.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks