cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Glass - surely 360 will follow eg internet only?

banhamm
Up to speed

Just saw an announcement from Sky about Glass a tv that requires no dish and can work on internet alone. 
Surely the 360 will need to match this and work a second box at least without a cable as it is a bit of a game changer?

link added https://apple.news/AdLYeBeB0RPOJhg4Qd4bwpw 

https://apple.news/AdLYeBeB0RPOJhg4Qd4bwpw

16 REPLIES 16

roy247
Community elder

Looks like a good option, but couldn't Hisense have put a hard drive in it just in case the live footbal you can't watch because you are out can't be streamed to watch when you get home. The TV is deep enough to fit a hard drive somewhere with the Dolby atmos soundbar.

Just a thought for Sky Glass v2.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 

There's no mention of a hard drive in the Sky's product information sheet 

Although there is cloud storage according to a Hands on Sky Glass review 

"Another key new feature is something called Playlist, which replaces traditional recording. There is no hard drive in Sky Glass — instead, there's a “+” button on the remote, which will place content you want to watch into a hub, which is then stored in the cloud. This means no recording limits due to a limited number of tuners, and no hard-drive limits either."

The above info is contradicted on https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/sky-glass-is-a-qled-tv-with-sky-q-built-in-and-its-coming-soon 

"As ever with Sky’s home products, you can also record live TV and boxset programming directly to Sky Glass’s built-in recordings hard drive."

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hey all,

I saw the advertisement for Sky's new platform, 'Glass' for the first time today.

If it works (which given they have set a release date it would seem so).

And they have the hardware (the TV's), ready for sale, again it would seem so ...

It could be a bit of a game-changer !

Sky Glass 

Steve

Utrinque Paratus

Hi Dave,

I did say there wasn't a hard drive, just maybe they could have put one in.

That's the first review I have seen that mentions cloud storage, I assume more details will come out before the release, Sky's website was lacking a lot of real info when I looked there was more info in the reviews. If there is cloud storage then great.

One of those review's said Sky was the manufacturer which of course we all know means it was made by someone else to their requirements. An article in the Wall Street Journal said Comcast the owners of Sky had been in collaboration with Hisense and the displays would fall in line with their current range of quantum dot TV's.

What will Virgin come back with, the on trial streaming box is starting to look dated already.

Free choice of what TV you have if you stick with Virgin.

Roy

I think the key to this is any cloud functionality. I’m thinking that this would allow storage and transfer of series links to anew device which in the 21st century should not be beyond the means of VM or Sky. 
To be able to run a media tv service without having a satellite dish or cables drilled through your wall? Priceless. 

roy247
Community elder

The 360 was designed to have cloud storage it's only the UK that has a hard drive, but you still need that coax cable.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@banhamm wrote:

To be able to run a media tv service without having a satellite dish or cables drilled through your wall? Priceless. 

BT TV already runs this sort of setup. Freeview for the FTA channels, and IPTV over the 'net for everything else.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@roy247 wrote:

That's the first review I have seen that mentions cloud storage, I assume more details will come out before the release,....... If there is cloud storage then great.

Roy

Hi again Roy,

Sky Help Team @SkyHelpTeam

Good evening, all recordings will be stored on a cloud based system which you have a 1000 hours of storage. All recordings will stay on your cloud playlist for 12 months.

I read elsewhere, but can't recall where that the cloud storage is per customer.
Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

@newapollo wrote:

@roy247 wrote:

That's the first review I have seen that mentions cloud storage, I assume more details will come out before the release,....... If there is cloud storage then great.

Roy

Hi again Roy,

Sky Help Team @SkyHelpTeam

Good evening, all recordings will be stored on a cloud based system which you have a 1000 hours of storage. All recordings will stay on your cloud playlist for 12 months.

I read elsewhere, but can't recall where that the cloud storage is per customer.

Hi again Dave,

1000 hours is quite a lot of storage depending on what that figure is based on whether its 720, 1080 or 4K, that would amount to approximately 4.25TB, 8.5TB or 20TB, all depending on what frame rate, bit rates and compression are used.

Well my son in law has pre-registered his interest so I am pretty sure I will get to see it for myself fairly soon as he is already with Sky.

Roy.