Menu
labsteve
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Site/House assesment

Hi,

I'm doing so work at my house right now and figured that now would be a good time to run Virgin Fibre into my house. Can anyone advise how this connects to you tel/Cat5/6 network pls. I merely want to future proof it. 

Currently I use Sky and that's using a dish/tel line.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Tudor
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Site/House assesment

A dual (Siamese) cable is run from a pavement T up to your house wall where it terminates in a VM omni-box. From this box a phone cable goes to a phone socket inside your house. Coax cable/s also go from box to a hub (cable modem/switch/WiFi) box and/or to a V6 TV Box. Ideally the V6 box needs a CAT5e/6 cable back to the hub, although this can be WiFi, but it’s not recommended. All internal cabling is done by VMs technician except the CAT5e/6 between Hub and V6. If you install internal trunking with pull cords the VM technician may use it, but it’s not guaranteed. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Just to point out that VM will only run a drop from the cabinet to your house if you sign up for the service.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The V6 will replace your Sky dish and would normally be located close to your TV as the connection is by HDMI cable. The V6 also needs a broadband connection to work properly (ideally by Ethernet cable), but the hub can be positioned in a different place, typical reasons being that you may wish to use it in your office or to get the best WiFi for the whole of the house. With all of this in mind, install your Ethernet cabling in advance of the Virgin Media installation. And if the location of the hub or V6 requires the coaxial cable to go through an internal wall, then drill a hole for that as well.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos