Menu
Ellis3T
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Sharing a single Phone and FAX line

Yes, I know FAX is old tech, but occasionally I still need it. I shared a FAX/Phone line successfully with my previous Brother printer, so I know it can be done, but I'm having trouble doing the same thing with my new Epson Workforce. I have connected the wall phone socket to the LINE on the printer, and the phone itself to EXT on the printer. This is how Epson say it should be done, but it does not work. The only configuration that almost works is using a splitter and connecting one lead to the FAX and the other to the phone. However, even if I pick up the phone within the allotted number of calls, the FAX will still kick in and beep away while I am talking. I am in a Blue area with a Hub 3 which has two telephone sockets on the back, currently unused. Is this an impossible setup or can anyone suggest a solution without buying a second dedicated FAX line? Thanks.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sharing a single Phone and FAX line

what did Epson support say when you spoke to them?
0 Kudos
Ellis3T
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I haven't spoken to them - this is on their user instructions and website:

https://epson.com/faq/SPT_C11CF74201~faq-00007df-wf3720_4730?faq_cat=faq-8796125866060

They will probably tell me to contact my phone line provider.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

are you on an old style virgin phone line? (ie separate phone socket) or are you VOIP provided from the phone sockets on the hub?

if it's VOIP then i doubt fax would even work.
0 Kudos
Ellis3T
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Old style, separate phone socket. Don't think the Blue zone has VOIP yet?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

in which case, your issue doesn't sound like a line issue, but a fax machine issue where it's not releasing the line for voice.

best to speak to Epson.
0 Kudos
Ellis3T
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Okay, thanks. I'll try to speak with them over the next few days. If they come up with a positive response, I'll post a reply here.

0 Kudos
Ellis3T
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Spoke to Epson, or rather waited three days to get this link: https://kb.epson.eu/display/4/kb/article.aspx?aid=3277

The third paragraph states: If the All-In-One is connected to a DSL/ADSL (xDSL) phone line, you must have a DSL filter connected to the phone jack. Contact your DSL provider for the necessary filter, if they have not already provided one.

Could this be the problem?

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

virgin don't use DSL/ADSL so unlikely, but you can always give it a try.
viring won't supply you one those as they don't supply internet via a normal phone line.
0 Kudos
Ellis3T
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Okay, I'll hunt around for one.

I just did the simplest test of all, connecting a working cable from the Virgin wall socket to the FAX - no extension leads, no EXT cable to phone, just a basic connection - and it failed.

I wonder, is the Virgin Blue zone already VoiP? Does VoiP work through the old connection or do you HAVE to plug the cable into the hub? If it's already VoiP, that's why the FAX won't connect.

0 Kudos