cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second router on existing TV cable?

Bryan6
Joining in

We have three cables running from the old ntl junction box on the north wall of our house.  One cable goes upstairs to a desktop computer via a Virgin router. Another cable goes to a TV in the sitting room below.  The third cable goes round the guttering to a second TV in an extension on the south side of the house.  Wifi connection is okay in the old house but not in the extension.  Can we have a second router installed in the extension, using the existing cable running round the gutters?

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not an option. With VM you can only have one hub (it’s more than just a router, includes a modem). The real way to fix your problem is to run an Ethernet cable from the VM hub to the extension and install a WiFi access point there. This will then give you very good WiFi and if you also need Ethernet cables device you can install a small 5 point network switch.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgins rule is one modem per account. If you want a second modem at the address it has to be on a second account (so you pay twice) & a seperate feed has to be installed from the cabinet. Far better (& cheaper) to get a third party router & use VMs hub in Modem Mode.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

For your modest requirements an external Ethernet cable (cat 5e or cat 6) running from the north side to the extension is ideal, and best terminated at an RJ45 wall socket. Initially you just plug in a wireless access point, later (when the TiVo is compulsorily upgraded to a 360) you instead plug in a gigabit port network switch and the WAP and 360 to that switch.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks fot the advice. Vrgin have just sent me their new intelligent wifi pod as part of their oomph deal, to which I've just switched. The pod is great. With a couple more pods, I'll have the coverage I need.