cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Box

Help1231
Tuning in

Hello,

My friend has just bought a new TV as his old one had stopped working. The new TV does not support scart to scart which is the VM box he currently has. Can an updated box be provided and if so is there a cost to this or does an adaptor need to be purchased?

Thank you in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Help1231 

It sounds like your friend has one of the older V+ boxes which only had the scart connection and should be able to be changed for a TIVO box.

If your friend has broadband with VM then they may be able to get the set top box changed to a V6 

With the box being that old he may well be out of contract and paying more than necessary. Possibly a good time to speak to retentions (thinking of leaving us) and negotiate a new deal and free box swap.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

chenks76
On our wavelength

how old is the virgin box they have?
every virgin box in the past 5 years at the very least has had an HDMI output.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Help1231 

It sounds like your friend has one of the older V+ boxes which only had the scart connection and should be able to be changed for a TIVO box.

If your friend has broadband with VM then they may be able to get the set top box changed to a V6 

With the box being that old he may well be out of contract and paying more than necessary. Possibly a good time to speak to retentions (thinking of leaving us) and negotiate a new deal and free box swap.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Chenks, thank you for getting back to me. I am not sure but I will check with him.

Thanks very much

Hi Dave, thanks very much for your reply. It may be that he is out of contract as he seems to have had it for a while. I'll check with him and support him to contact Virgin and see what can be arranged. Thanks very much for your help.

VM has been trying for quite some time to replace the obsolete V+ boxes, will be a free upgrade to a TiVo box. As advised a new contract should be negotiated as it should be cheaper than the current rolling contract. A V6 box is superior to a TiVo but will incur additional cost if the subscriber doesn't already have VM's broadband (which is needed for the V6 to work).

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I think a TiVo would be sufficient for him. 

Thanks very much.