26/12/2021- kb4023057

alf28

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ALF28 

Some of the updates you are having install failures with are because they aren't actually available for say the XP system. 

Have you tried using the Microsoft update catalogue ?

You enter the kb number in the search box, for example kb5012170, and if it's actually available for your system you can download it from there. It does take a fair while to download, you can then perform an offline install.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

61 REPLIES 61

ALF28
Super solver

windows 8/Windows 10

Thanks for the advice, I have loaded windows 10 with no problems and it seems to be working, the desktop is different and is an asus desktop, the windows desktop is empty. As windows 8 is not supported, it is similar to windows xp and out of date now, so to be safe online the latest software is required.

There was a lot of updates and no crashes yet, I suspect the crashes were conflicts with software, this time I have switched off the defender virus protection and  using malwarebytes pro, and removed a third part firewall so using the defender firewall.

Windows 10  is working normally and edge is OK, I use it with browser guard.

I will do a recovery usb/disc in case it happens again, but will have to find the method.

Also I will sort out my backup's and use usb, external hard drives and cloud one drive and google drive and already have dropbox.

alf28

ALF28
Super solver

10/06/2022

WINDOWS 10 UPDATES

Security  update KB2267602 version 1.367.1334.0 (has updated 3 times in 3 days)

Cumulative update 21h2  KB5014023

Good to see that the security updates are regular (microsoft defender)

alf28

ALF28
Super solver

windows 10 21h2 update- isue date july 20222 

Having not used my older windows 10 laptop for a while, it updated with the july 12th 2022 quality cumulative update kb5015807.

The update stoped my edge browser working but a restart solve the issue.

Then my microsoft login kept failing for one drive and outlook, and it asked me to update my password which was unusual, but now works OK.

The windows 10 updates seem to be less frequent and I can see no security intelligence update since july.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ALF28 

I'm moving all your posts relating to Windows 10 from the Windows 11 thread  to this new thread

Dave
The do's and don'ts.
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi again @ALF28 

Have now merged your windows 10 updates into this thread and kept you subscribed to both the windows 10 and 11 threads.

Dave
The do's and don'ts.

Thanks, makes sense to split windows 10 posts from windows 11 posts.

windows 10- still supported till October 14th 2025 but has to be updated at least yearly or they will stop support.

version update cycles are 18 months.

see- 

How Long Will Microsoft Support Windows 10? (pcmag.com)

I stopped posting stuff about W10 updates as no one seemed to be interested in them any more.  However, I did have some major problems with some of the recent ones getting the including the error below:

This caused a lot of problems as it took nearly 2 hours to download and install several updates in one go.  It then failed on the KB below and took another 3/4 hour "rolling back".

There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800f0922) (KB5012170)

This was as useful as a chocolate teapot and was no help at all and is now caught in an infinite loop of not updating properly.  I am now heartily sick of constantly wasting hours of life babysitting the damned thing and I'm seriously considering not getting another machine with any version of Windows (including W11) in future.

The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π

I agree, the larger cumulative windows updates can take a very long time period, sometimes I just leave it updating for hours,, nearly all day and seems to  be very slow downloading the update and also slow installing requiring restart.

Mine has been better since I re-installed a fresh copy of windows 10 following failures to update.

My asus laptop windows 10  is 2014 (originally windows 8 and is very slow at times, and will not upgrade to windows 11.

The windows 11 updates can also be a bit  slow for the bigger updates only, but faster than windows 10, I recently had issues but solved them, it need a minimum of 20gb free space on the drive, so make sure any new computers have a large disc space. My  windows 11 laptop is very fast compared to the windows 10 laptop.

As the number of files can be huge on a typical windows computer , mine is greater than 0.5 million, it is not surprising some updates are slow.

As windows does need constant updating like any software, I often wonder if other OS systems are better, but having tried an android  tablet I still prefer windows as most software is designed for windows and it is very versatile. Older laptops can be used with linux, but I have not tried that and still have a windows  xp laptop that still connects perfectly.

@ MrHalfAsleep

I stopped posting stuff about W10 updates as no one seemed to be interested in them any more.  However, I did have some major problems with some of the recent ones getting the including the error below:

This caused a lot of problems as it took nearly 2 hours to download and install several updates in one go.  It then failed on the KB below and took another 3/4 hour "rolling back".

There were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x800f0922) (KB5012170)

This was as useful as a chocolate teapot and was no help at all and is now caught in an infinite loop of not updating properly.  I am now heartily sick of constantly wasting hours of life babysitting the damned thing and I'm seriously considering not getting another machine with any version of Windows (including W11) in future.

(KB5012170) is a security update. Is it possible that it conflicts with the anti-virus you use.  I use Malwarebytes and occasionally run the Windows anti-virus

latest score for the Windows 10 updates

updates 2022-09-07 043343.jpg

Although the Driver Updates include third party updates.

BeLarc Advisor  rates it at.

BeLarc 2022-09-07 045922.jpg