Menu
Waine05
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Random cable running to next door

Anyone ever heard of a cable running from the brown box outside my house to the next door houses brown box(junction box)? Asked a virgin engineer and he had no idea.......
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Random cable running to next door

Yes, seen it reported on the forums before. I believe VM do this sometimes if there is an issue with getting a direct cable connection to the other property.

On the other hand, if the neighbour hasn't subscribed to VM it could be dodgy.
Waine05
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not even the neighbour knows anything about it, I’m the end of the terrace and it’s the house inside me. This cable is running where we are having a conservatory put in, do I remove it????
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you should call VM to remove it. If you do it yourself you or both of you could lose service depending on how and why it was done.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
you should call VM to remove it. If you do it yourself you or both of you could lose service depending on how and why it was done.

There still should be a "way-leave" in the deeds but confirming that depends on whether OP or Landlord has free hold? As "conservatory build" is mentioned then presumably OP(or Building Society) has deeds and then OP should run/not walk to his original conveyancing solicitor to either confirm or request that post factum "search" with appropriate letter to VM to resolve/remove cabling prior to scheduled conservatory build or risk being invoiced for any delays?

I had no way-leave in my deeds yet located a VM cable 1ft inside my boundary to provision my neighbours ETB/omnibox but fortunately my neighbour was happy to let me project manage request to VM to re-route this before any construction work occurred and VM and Area/Access Field Manager and his Field staff were very efficient/obliging with both temporary re-route and supplying flexi-conduit and eventuall permanent cable repull.

Hopefully the OP's regional AFM will be as helpful to avoid engaging expense legal/litigation threats but OP may need to plan for worst case scenario. Hmmm.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos
Waine05
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Had the guy from VM come round on Friday, told the wife it’s not even connected....... cut it today and no internet. The cable runs into the house from behind the fence panel. Guys coming back on Monday. I have no words, did the guy even check the cable
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

so you would of done the same. So it seems its not running next doors connection but rather you are running from next doors.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Waine05 wrote:
Had the guy from VM come round on Friday, told the wife it’s not even connected....... cut it today and no internet. The cable runs into the house from behind the fence panel. Guys coming back on Monday. I have no words, did the guy even check the cable

Now you have two potential problems to consider perhaps:

1. Not clear from above "timeline" but one interpretation is he told your wife it was not even connected, implying it was ok for you to cut it? or did he return and cut it himself? Did he leave a customer copy of his "Service Checklist" confirming the instructions he gave? You seem to have a prima facie case to contact Contact Customer relations and seek compensation but proving this without any documentation may ultimately be difficult as the rare inept/incompetent field tech will typically simply argue/deny any verbal conversation in absence of any worksheet.  

2. Superficially looks like it's your neighbour that should have the "wayleave" for VM's supply to you to cross via their property rather than your boundary to public highway? If VM cannot technically (due to ducting issues) re-connect your service directly via public highway or a wayleave on file then your neighbour(or whoever has their freehold) has every right to refuse VM to re-lay your service cable if it requires access to their property?  Again it would be prudent to make that point to CR when seeking compensation to also ensure that preferably VM now provide service only via your property or have a wayleave on file, otherwise any change of neighbour/freeholder can legitimately seek redress/disconnection/removal of cabling solely servicing your property(via theirs) in the future!

Unfortunately you're between a "rock & a hardplace" as VM potentially (if faced with exorbitant ducting costs or non co-operative neighbour/solicitor/agent) simply declare your house unserviceable which may subsequently require you to seek legal advice to recover  any outstanding monies based on whatever contract you still have with VM? 

Common sense says he simply returnsas promised and provides a temporary weather proof joint box to reconnect on Monday and arranges a more permanent cable repull later and re-siting of cable route to avoid your construction work.

One would hope common sense prevails and the stress & cost of litigation or prolonged absence of service doesn't arise but you seem to have illustrated that not all VM techs/contractors are competent so mentioning "Common sense and VirginMedia" in same sentence can apparently be an oxymoron!.

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
0 Kudos