Menu
RobH2
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Program Registration Servers blocked by VirgnMedia

I have had the driver update program DriverAssist for some years. All fine no problems. Suddenly it says the program needs registration. When I try, I always get the error "Cannot connect to registration Servers. Please try again". I disabled  security (Antivirus, Firewall etc), reloaded DriverAssist, wrote new rules for Firewall etc but still same error. Disconnected LAN and connected via Personal Hotspot on my Vodafone iPhone. No problem with registering the program. Discontinued Hotspot and reconnected LAN.  DriverAssist works fine, until it is closed, but on re-opening it again demands registering, So Virginmedia blocking access to the registration Servers but allowing access to the driver database servers.  Tried to chat to VirginMedia but always "Not available - Try again later" Safebytes (makers of DriverAssist) say I am not the ony customer with this problem and to contact Virginmedia. Easier said than done I find.

0 Kudos
slatey
Up to speed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

7Re: Program Registration Servers blocked by VirgnMedia

Hi,I think if I am not mistaken and don't have time to check but it might be because Driver Assist is considered to be Malware.
0 Kudos
RobH2
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: 7Re: Program Registration Servers blocked by VirgnMedia

That would make more sense if the data servers were blocked rather than the registration servers. Anyone contacting those wants to register and so would not consider DriverAssist to be malware. 

0 Kudos
Tudor
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The only servers blocked by VM are ones requested by the government. Have you had any updates on your system lately, if it’s Windows 10, that has been know to change thinks without your knowledge. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
RobH2
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If the "government" wanted them blocked, why can I connect to them via vodafone?

Windows of course is always giving updates, but I connect using Windows (and my security software) using my iPhone personal Hotspot, Then the only difference is I am not using a VirginMedia connection

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

An internet search yields this: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Is-Driver-Assist-safe/td-p/5311...

The general consensus is that it is regarded as malware (it's down as a virus elsewhere), and that it should be removed.   According to the link above, if you register it you will pay for something that you can normally do for free.  If you wish to pay for something that you can do for free then that is your choice.  However, I wouldn't do it.  Do you know the address of Safebytes?

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes