cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outside cable cut by accident

Mrringelova
Tuning in
Out gardener cut external Virgin cable in garden by accident, as cables where left exposed in the bushes. Cables are outside at the front of the property. Called customer service and can’t get engineer until the 11th. Is there anyway I can get someone faster? I need broadband due to working from home. 😳
Many Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
you will of been offered the next free visit.
You can keep calling in to see if an early slot comes up but other than that not really much you can do.

you should look at a backup connection like a 4g connection for when your internet is down if you need it for working

Brava210
Fibre optic

Do a temp repair yourself then.

Virgin BB 55MB, Hub 3, Tenda Router, Stream Box - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990

We did. TV is back but issue with line connection so no internet. 
Don’t understand how in the first place they can leave exposed cables in the bushes. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Anonymous
Not applicable
its pretty common. the cables are not always buried

Shouldn’t the cables be in some sort of protective sleeve? 

Anonymous
Not applicable
nope there are no rules about how the cables are installed. they are outdoor rated cables. they are often left under trees or tacked around walls/fences

Did you repair with good connectors? there is no reason the BB should not work

with a good temp repair

Something like this for RG6 cable

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F-PLUG-SINGLE-SATELLITE-COAX-CABLE-CONNECTOR-KIT-RG6-FOR-SKY-TV-AERIAL-SC... 

Virgin BB 55MB, Hub 3, Tenda Router, Stream Box - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Mrringelova wrote:

Shouldn’t the cables be in some sort of protective sleeve? 

Ideally yes they should be fed through green trunking.

Unfortunately I have seen many situations in my local area where there is no trunking.

My own cable was originally buried in green trunking but a re pull a few years ago left the trunking at surface level.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable
and don't repair it yourself. outdoor cable with satellite connectors. your asking for a big bill when VM charge you for the damage and downed services for the street