Menu
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Opera inbuilt VPN - does it work?

Just been playing around with the Opera browser on my Mac and noticed that it has inbuilt VPN.  See below.  I have "activated" it and tried a few sites and all connect fine (albeit a tad slower than usual) but being a true numpty on things VPN - how do I know if its actually providing me a proper VPN?  Anyone else tried it and can comment ?

----------------------

Fast, secure, easy-to-use browser

Try the Opera browser - now with a built-in ad blocker, battery saver and free VPN.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Opera inbuilt VPN - does it work?

do you trust a browser to not sniff and inject traffic? Problem with any VPN you have to give 100% trust it the provider. they can see so much info and change anything in route

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

A large number of VPNs slow your web traffic. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
do you trust a browser to not sniff and inject traffic? Problem with any VPN you have to give 100% trust it the provider. they can see so much info and change anything in route

Good point - also its actually a "Proxy" to hide ip's - so I guess no proper encryption.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

amazes me a the people that want to protect their privacy etc that say they're using a VPN, but have no idea what the VPN provider is, who they are backed by, what they do with your data you route via them.

might as well just right all your details on a bit of paper and throw it out the window.
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
amazes me a the people that want to protect their privacy etc that say they're using a VPN, but have no idea what the VPN provider is, who they are backed by, what they do with your data you route via them.

might as well just right all your details on a bit of paper and throw it out the window.

I am not using a VPN and never have I have nothing worth hiding   Smiley Happy    If I did though I would go for ExpressVPN or NordVPN  and feel pretty secure about it.  I am actually just checking on whether this is worth using for my lad on his travels as it is said to work on the Netflix servers.

--------------------
0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

my post wasn't in reference to you, but in general.

however, what makes you feel secure about NordVPN? the fact that they advertise heavily?
i've seen them advertise plenty on the TV, but i still know nothing about the people behind the company and how financially backs them.
as has been mentioned, you're basically giving all your traffic data to some unknown third party.

if i set up ChenksVPN would you be happy enough to use it? 🙂
ps.. i actually do run my own VPN server, but it's just for me to remote in to my network when i'm out and about.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

if i set up ChenksVPN would you be happy enough to use it? 🙂
ps.. i actually do run my own VPN server, but it's just for me to remote in to my network when i'm out and about.

ChenksVPN - I'm in !!!

I "kinda" trust this guy

https://thebestvpn.com/reviews/expressvpn/

https://thebestvpn.com/reviews/nordvpn/

--------------------
chenks
Wise owl
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

i don't know Brad from Adam.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

@chenks, out of curiosity, what audit steps / processes would you use when making such decision?

0 Kudos