Menu
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 21 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Gig1 Service Upstream Speeds are still poor

I'm referring to the kit installed in headend racks within the Openreach Handover Point in Openreach's exchanges. Data from customers' premises are uniquely tagged thus enabling the headend equipment to work out where to send the data so it successfully reaches the ISP’s network. Most of the other headend kit is supplied by Huawei and Nokia which works properly but I suspect that some cheapskate bought ECI kit which only enables speeds of 330/50. This is another example of the fibre cable itself not being a limiting factor in speeds.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
louij2
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Hit the nail on the head with the lack of competition in the market. Virgin support said to be I understand you are upset but we are leading for Upload speeds at 10% of Download. I just said yes, you are the best but thats due to a lack of competition. Surely OFCOM is working in the background...
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 23 of 37
Flag for a moderator

you are free to have your own leased line installed that will give you the speeds you want.
you just don't want to pay for it.
0 Kudos
louij2
On our wavelength
Message 24 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Look Romania has a better value internet packages than they do in the UK. Why should I pay more than I am for the awful contract I am on that moved over from telewest. I'm literally paying over £100 a month for everything i'm sure that VM has made their money back multiple times already to offer better speeds.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 25 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Without cable broadband much of this country would be stuck with slow ADSL. Ofcom is no doubt delighted that VM has set the bar to a level that most of the compeition struggles to reach. This is changing as FTTP rollouts increase with 8% coverage now for 2.5 million properties, a huge increase of over 1.1 million premises in the past year.

--
louij2
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 37
Flag for a moderator

I hope that FTTP comes to me soon as i'll be switching right away. Shame that it mainly seems to be apartments that get the install first though.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 27 of 37
Flag for a moderator

VM's speeds are the same regardless of whether it's FTTP or HFC.

--
0 Kudos
louij2
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Hi sorry. I will never buy FTTP from VM I mean from Hyperoptic or another London based ISP.
0 Kudos
louij2
On our wavelength
Message 29 of 37
Flag for a moderator

Also just seen Docsis 3.1 has enough upstream to provide more than 53Mbps. Also why do they advertise 1104Mbps downstream when in reality the Hub 4 is only capable of 940Mbps and still suffers from the same Puma architecture issues as the previous Hub 3....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
chenks
Community elder
Message 30 of 37
Flag for a moderator

it's not that the hub4 is only capable of 940Mbps, it's that gigabit ethernet ports are limited to 940Mbps.
that's not unique to virgin hubs.