Menu
Snai11
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

New Estate build cable check

Hello Smiley Wink

Firstly what a great  tech chatter / forum this is, I've been reading lots of helpful stuff ( tech ) 

Which have answered some of the questions to a problem we are trying to resolve "cable my Street"

we are a fairly new build estate (over 5 years) and at present we can only get Broadband threw BT line (we use sky).

We have a local forum which is trying to get Virgin Media installed we have over 30+ households who have completed the cable my street link.

We have been informed by a Virgin Media engineer there is no cable installed to the estate but if we got over 20+ to signed up cable my street, they would use the BT ducting.

How realistic is this 🤔 as more people are signing up as we speak

Any help would be greatly  appreciated   

Thanks 

snai11 🐌

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Estate build cable check

probably unrealistic as it stands, as i believe all network expansion plans are set until at least 2020.
also, no plans for any "in-fill".
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Snai11 wrote:

Hello Smiley Wink

Firstly what a great  tech chatter / forum this is, I've been reading lots of helpful stuff ( tech ) 

Which have answered some of the questions to a problem we are trying to resolve "cable my Street"

we are a fairly new build estate (over 5 years) and at present we can only get Broadband threw BT line (we use sky).

We have a local forum which is trying to get Virgin Media installed we have over 30+ households who have completed the cable my street link.

We have been informed by a Virgin Media engineer there is no cable installed to the estate but if we got over 20+ to signed up cable my street, they would use the BT ducting.

How realistic is this 🤔 as more people are signing up as we spea

Any help would be greatly  appreciated   

Thanks 

snai11 🐌

There is no agreements in place to use BT Openreach ducting. Indeed if you are in a legacy HFC distribution area the ducting would not be suitable anyway.  All infill build has now ceased as the budget is exhausted. You are looking at 2020-2021 before any more will be considered.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Highlighted
Snai11
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Sorry but what is HFC 🤔 

Also how do we register or get on the infill  list 🤔

How do we actually contact VIrgin Media engineering to get concrete answers to our questions as we seem to only speak sales / call centres  who gave different answers.

thanks in advance 

0 Kudos
chenks
Wise owl
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the answers you got here are as concrete as you'll get.
0 Kudos
Snai11
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes it's seems you are right "roundabouts come to mind " 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Snai11 wrote:

Sorry but what is HFC 🤔 

Also how do we register or get on the infill  list 🤔

How do we actually contact VIrgin Media engineering to get concrete answers to our questions as we seem to only speak sales / call centres  who gave different answers.

thanks in advance 

Hybrid Fibre Coaxial.

Each customer has to be served with a dual cable, so the ducting is usually twice the size of that used by BT. The local network must also have the capacity built in to expand, as there is a finite number of cabinets that can be added to HFC.

Infill is more expensive than build in completely new areas. Even if you got 75% of the estate interested in VM this is no guarantee you would get shortlisted due to costs.

I have already stated there will be no more infill for the immediate future, so there isn’t a “list” you can join as one does not exist yet.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile