cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MoCA Adapters

Royalman
On our wavelength

Powerline Adapters have never really worked for me. Despite units designed to the same standard by different manufacturers supposedly working together, they never have for me. Also despite having a single ring main performance varies from socket to socket. In the worst case virtually nothing.
So far I have put together a system that works. But though the living room steams HD OK, if in the future we move to 4K the broadband signal won't be fast enough (though at the router it's OK as we have the 100Mbps package).
For various reasons I don't want to invest in a Mesh WiFi system.
Fortunately the builders of our house in 1980 were thoughtful enough to plumb in TV Coax to most rooms. So I am going to try MoCA.
I have identified 3 units and having done my research in order of preference they are:
1. Actiontec ECB6250
2. Motorola MM1000-72
3. Starlink MN2525
However I am having problems sourcing any of these in the UK. I really want to source it from the UK, so I get a unit tested for the UK and supplied with UK mains adapter etc. etc.

Has anyone here set up a MoCA system? Did it work OK? And which Adapters did you you use and did you manage to source them in the UK?

11 REPLIES 11

spgray
Problem sorter
MoCA is very much a US thing from what i remember.
are you sure the cabling is going to up to scratch? is it the original cable from the 1980s?

would it not be easier to just use the exisiting coax as a pull string to run ethernet instead?

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Royalman wrote:

Powerline Adapters have never really worked for me. Despite units designed to the same standard by different manufacturers supposedly working together, they never have for me. Also despite having a single ring main performance varies from socket to socket. In the worst case virtually nothing.
So far I have put together a system that works. But though the living room steams HD OK, if in the future we move to 4K the broadband signal won't be fast enough (though at the router it's OK as we have the 100Mbps package).
For various reasons I don't want to invest in a Mesh WiFi system.
Fortunately the builders of our house in 1980 were thoughtful enough to plumb in TV Coax to most rooms. So I am going to try MoCA.
I have identified 3 units and having done my research in order of preference they are:
1. Actiontec ECB6250
2. Motorola MM1000-72
3. Starlink MN2525
However I am having problems sourcing any of these in the UK. I really want to source it from the UK, so I get a unit tested for the UK and supplied with UK mains adapter etc. etc.

Has anyone here set up a MoCA system? Did it work OK? And which Adapters did you you use and did you manage to source them in the UK?

Have you see these?

Taking into consideration how much the adapters are I'd seriously suggest investigating the cost of running ethernet cables, even externally depending on the circumstances.

Royalman
On our wavelength

I think the reason people perceive MoCA as a USA thing is that the USA have a wider adoption of CATV and some of the Routers supplied by the likes of Comcast and Cox include a MoCA port as standard.
Running ethernet would have been my preferred choice. But the existing Coax is jammed solid. Maybe it wasn't even put in trunking/ conduit. It is a bit ancient but I am hoping that as it handles weak TV signals OK up to 746MHz (Crystal Palace) it should work OK. Even if not to the full 2.5 Gbps network/ 1 Gbps at the socket rate. This is purely a guess on my part, but I assume the MoCA spec allows the data rate to fall back until it it runs at a reliable rate? It would be OK for me if the 1Gbps advertised rate was scaled back to just 100Mbps.

MarkyMark2
Tuning in
  • I bought a pair of Motorola MoCA MM1000 adapters in October from one of only two UK suppliers and have been extremely impressed with the tripling of speed compared to the Powerline adapters I had been using. I fitted a PoE filter (US supplier) on to the incoming cable prior to the splitter as recommended. Now these adapters are as rare as hen's teeth and no UK supplier holds them in stock, why? I haven't a clue, it's a complete mystery to me and a shame given how well the MoCA system works. 

What if VM use the Frequency's the MoCA uses I don't think that will play nice with the network.

They are outlawed in the UK for a reason.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Please can you direct me to a link that backs up that statement as I can't find any such information. If my MoCA was causing any issues I'm sure VM would have informed me by now.

Ethernet over coax is widely used not just in North America but also the rest of Europe. I can't imagine we're the lone exception. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
if the coax is connected to the VM network YOU CAN'T USE IT. Really its VM coax so you shouldn't be using it even if disconnected from the network.

You haven't provided any evidence to back up your statement that MoCA is banned in the UK. Also, if I change vendor I can't imagine VM will come and reclaim the cable. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
it still belongs to VM you can't modify or use it