Menu
Highlighted
Royalman
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Low Upstream Power Levels

My Upstream Power Levels seem very low. Also Channel 2 is 32QAM, not 64 QAM. I am in a Project Lightning area so it is RFoG to the Boostral unit in the Box attached to my outside wall. Does anyone with more knowledge than me have any comments?

Upstream bonded channelsChannel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID
1394000003512064 qam2
2258000003512032 qam4
3326000002.975512064 qam3
4462000833512064 qam1

Upstream bonded channelsChannel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts
1ATDMA0000
2ATDMA0000
3ATDMA0000
4ATDMA0000
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Low Upstream Power Levels

The upstream levels at 29.75 and 30 are below the recommended minimum of 31 (a bug in the latest firmware is putting decimal points in the wrong place).

This will need a technician to visit and adjust those power levels.  You can call VM and ask then to send somebody out, or wait for the forum team to pick this up and help you book a visit.  Might take the FT a few days to get to this thread.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Royalman
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks SCA1972. I wasn't aware of the decimal point error in the latest HUB 3.0 firmware. If it wasn't for the fact that one channel is working at 32QAM (rather than 64 QAM) I would just ignore it. But it would be nice to get that back to 64QAM (it was when VM first intstalled).

I will wait for a ForumTeam member to get back to me to help arrrnge a service visit.

DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I'm also in an RFoG area, 29dBmV is my normal upstream power level and I'd go as far as to say it's around what all RFoG customers get as it only needs to be powerful enough to transmit to the ONU on the wall of the house. You do not need those levels adjusted.

The single channel at QAM32 might be indicative of a dirty fibre or faulty ONU though, but if it's not causing any actual issues on the line it's probably more hassle than it's worth to get it corrected.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Royalman,

Thanks for reaching out to us about the low upstream power level. I have checked and confirmed that this will indeed need us to book a technician to help us correct the problem with the decimal. We can do this via online chat.

Cheers.

Ann_E

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have checked and confirmed that this will indeed need us to book a technician to help us correct the problem with the decimal”. There is NOTHING a technician can do about the coding error in the Hub3 firmware. Expect it will probably never be fixed before a new hub model is released. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Ann_E wrote:

Hi Royalman,

Thanks for reaching out to us about the low upstream power level. I have checked and confirmed that this will indeed need us to book a technician to help us correct the problem with the decimal. We can do this via online chat.

Cheers.

Ann_E

the decimal point error is a firmware bug @Ann_E - a tech cannot resolve that - as to the upstream levels they are fine for the setup described

Tony
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@DreamOfCheese wrote:
I'm also in an RFoG area, 29dBmV is my normal upstream power level and I'd go as far as to say it's around what all RFoG customers get as it only needs to be powerful enough to transmit to the ONU on the wall of the house. You do not need those levels adjusted.

The single channel at QAM32 might be indicative of a dirty fibre or faulty ONU though, but if it's not causing any actual issues on the line it's probably more hassle than it's worth to get it corrected.

Thanks for that info @DreamOfCheese. I did some checking with VM staff and the lower upstream power levels you have @Royalman should be OK for RFoG connections.  As DOC has suggested probably not worth getting adjusted unless you are having any problems.

EDIT - Forgot to say, sorry for misleading anyone with my post. I clearly need to learn more about RFoG.

Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No need to apologise, we are here to learn. Smiley Happy

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Royalman
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

For anyone who reads this thread in future, regarding one of the Upstream channels only being 32QAM (rather than 64QAM). I wanted to know if VM regarded this as a fault, or not (to be clear I am happy with my upload and download speeds). After a long on-line chat with VM I got this answer:

Thank you for waiting. I checked the upstream level of your service and everything is okay. Normal upstream level are 64 and 32. The only time that it will be a fault is if the upstream level when down to 16qam. These upstream level will also adjust from time to time. I contact our Fault management system and was advice that to avoid having low qam, please make sure that your power source is on a steady power supply.

EDIT: My experience is that in any piece of electronic kit the weakest link is often the power supply. Rather than my 240V ac power source not being steady I reckon it would more likely be the PSU that powers the Boostral unit may be on its way out. I'll contuinue to monitor.

0 Kudos