cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junction box to be moved

Cher13
Tuning in

Can a junction box be moved? Cables have just been dug into my road and ugly grey metal box situated right outside my house. 
this will devalue my house (having just renovated and rebuilt) and it’s right in the middle, not discrete like the other boxes just installed. Please help? How can I get this moved to a more discrete place? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cher13 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I’m not sure if anyone has been connected to it yet, would this make a difference?

Let's assume for a moment that there are no active customers connected to it. Are there any incoming cables/fibres connected to it from the local headend? Those will potentially need re-running should the cabinet get moved. Local network planning could also have factored in the current location.

Again, think £thousands as the potential bill.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jem101
Superstar

Alas bottom line is, you can't! The street cabinet has, presumably, been installed on public land and with the full approval of the local council. Even if VM could be persuaded to move it, this would also involve considerable expense and inconvenience to everyone who is connected to it, who would all expect VM to compensate them for the loss of service while it is moved. All these expenses would come back you, you may well be looking at a few thousand pounds!

The street cabinet also needs to be sited within certain distances of properties as the cables linking the cabinet too the houses can only be uptown a certain length, which means that probably the cabinet has been put in the optimum position and can't just be moved somewhere out of the way.

I'm sorry to say that realistically, you need to forget about this as moving it just isn't going to happen.

Thanks for your reply. I’m not sure if anyone has been connected to it yet, would this make a difference? 

Occasionally, as in very occasionally, VM will move a box. I know of one case which took an 11-month campaign to move two boxes, so don't be hopeful.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Really appreciate your response. 

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cher13 wrote:

Let's assume for a moment that there are no active customers connected to it. Are there any incoming cables/fibres connected to it from the local headend? Those will potentially need re-running should the cabinet get moved. Local network planning could also have factored in the current location.

Again, think £thousands as the potential bill.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks