Menu
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: I need a different router than the Virgin one

Science is all about trying to prove things and then re-prove them in different ways, but conclusive and supported evidence that RF is dangerous does not currently exist, the scientific consensus is that it's fine.

Occasionally a story comes out that the media pushes because it gets people worked up and scared (which gets them clicks and links), but it always turns out in the end that the evidence didn't actually show what the media was claiming, or that the data was using P-hacking.
0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Karim347 wrote:

Because WiFi and radio wave is not good for the health and it is better to reduce the exposure if possible

you'e been reading too many conspirsact theory websites

chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Karim347 wrote:

Thanks for this précisions....but the impact of the radio waves on the human body is still being debated and unfortunately there is some evidence that even the WiFi is not safe ...

But thanks for the information

in which case you should probably permanently keep it off all the time, you should probably cancel your virgin service completely.
you'd also want to move and live in the middle of nowhere, unless you are also going to get your neighbours to switch theirs off too.

they are out to get you i tell ya!!

Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

tin-baseball

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

It is always hard to argue with irrationality. So instead I am going to tell the OP how to do what he wants to do. We will at least have the satisfaction of knowing that he will certainly put himself to considerable additional expense to solve a non-existent issue - but who cares about that. It is his lookout not mine, or the rest of the rational and reasonable people who have posted here. And by the way the cosmic radiation which gets through the atmosphere has more ionising and damaging effect on human tissue than low power wifi does or will ever have. And to switch that off he'll have to change universes for one which didn't evolve that way or live in a Faraday cage or wrap himself in tin-foil and look really weird.  But the neutrinos will still get through they always do As they say up north "nowt so queer as folk".

First of all he is always stuck with the Hub 3. VM will not permit any equipment which is not theirs to be directly connected to their network. But if he doesn't want wifi than he should put the Hub 3 in modem mode. That switches the wifi off. He will then need to connect a standard router (not a VDSL or ADSL type) that has wifi and ethernet connections to the Hub 3 via and ethernet cable. He can then use the router to link his equipment to the internet. Lots of these routers come with mains switches so he can turn them off at night. That way the mysterious wifi rays won't get him or his cat or dog or budgie or the mice that live behind the fridge or the man next door who is spying on him with a camera hidden in his wall (shush he doesn't know about that yet). 

Here's a nice expensive router he can buy from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Dual-Band-AC2600-Router/dp/B01B4X503S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&...

It has a mains power switch.

On the other hand  there is a cheaper way of doing things. He could just switch his Hub 3 off at night or when he is not using it, but that will mean on power up it will have to go through the settings sequence and that takes time. 

This Forum is a friendly helpful place and I have been true to its values. May the OP find the reassurance he needs to live his life still believing that wifi electromagnetic radiation will shrivel his brain but will allow him to have the internet - which works using electromagnetic radiation.  Full circle!

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I should not be worried about the emissions from WiFi. The maximum output power of a WiFi router must not exceed 200 milliwatts indoors. This decreases rapidly within a few feet of the hub, which is why there are so many problems with WiFi issues in the home. If you live in a terraced or semi-detached house you will also be getting signals from neighbours hubs through your walls.

If you are using a mobile phone on a mobile network the transmit power can vary at anything between 600 milliwatts & 3 watts, & you use this right next to your head. If you have a Smart meter for your electric this also uses the mobile phone network to report readings every few hours. Cordless landline phones also operate at around 250 milliwatts as do remote weather stations.

Believe me your own hub is just a small part of the RF that enters your home.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
cje85
Problem sorter
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The WiFi signal from any router is incredibly weak, generally the maximum transmit power is 100 milliwatts (compared to a standard 800watt Microwave which is 800000mW). You will get far more radiation from standard household electronics, a TV probably emits more RF radiation than an average WiFi router. (https://emfacademy.com/do-tvs-emit-radiation-complete-guide/)

There are people who live in houses surrounding huge TV/radio transmitters, broadcasting with hundreds of kilowatts of power. These have been around since the 50s/60s but to date there is absolutely no evidence that people who live close to these transmitters suffer from more illness.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

To put how weak the wireless signal is into context, if you stand 10m away from the hub you would be exposed to the same radiation level as from a 3.5magnitude star.

It depends on what you read,and who you believe, a credible organisation like the World Health Organisation, or a bunch of scientists haggling for their next research grant.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Trouble shooter
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Move to a desert island
0 Kudos