Now up to 18317 preview edition on the light theme 👍

18317 preview.jpg

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 73 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Re: I downloaded Windows 10 vers 1803

I was on my sister's laptop last week as Windows decided to update itself.  It said that it was "getting things ready" and was on 0%.  She wanted to use the thing, so I left her to it.  Some time passed and I asked her was it working.  There was disk activity going on so I left her to get on with what she was doing.  I had some stuff I needed to do so did that and went back to get some lunch.  I asked her was it working and she replied "No.".  It had been stuck on getting things ready for almost 2 hours.  I switched the laptop off a couple of times and rebooted, then ran WU again.

"Getting things ready 0%".  I decided to switch it off again and went here: http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx having made a note of the offending update.  I then proceeded to download the cumulative update.  Edge asked the question "Run, Save or Cancel", so I hit Run.  Nothing happened.  No download, no progressing %age, nothing.

The fix:  I went into task manager then services, found 2 Windows Update services and stopped them.  I then went back into Edge, and successfully downloaded the CU standalone, but saved it instead of running it.  I went back into task manager, restarted the 2 WU services and ran the CU standalone, which finally worked.  I restarted the machine and ran WU.  "Pending download" was followed by "Getting things ready 0%" for about 2-3 minutes even though it was successfully installed on the updates list. Eventually it said everything was up to date.  What should've taken 20 minutes tops took over 2½ hours.Man Frustrated

Other updates installed without any fuss.Smiley Indifferent

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
0 Kudos