Menu
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 31 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Re: I downloaded Windows 10 vers 1803

If you're a laptop user have it plugged in before downloading the October features update!

The saga continues.  I neglected to say that it isn't just VM equipment I'm using and I have an old 3rd party router.  I was going to do my usual daily internet routine when I was interrupted by Windows Update.  A picture paints a 1000 words:

OFU2018.jpgAlmost 2 hours to download and install!

Except it wasn't finished there.  I rebooted and WU did it's thing.  An hour or so later the screen went blank and I got "Hi, We're getting things ready".  Not cool at all.  By 3-00PM I finally got control back, but Windows Store had other ideas as it decided update programs and foist other useless stuff on me computer.  Calculator gets supersized, Edge gets a few bits and bobs and search gets enhancements and Windows Store gets improvements. Smiley Indifferent The whole caboodle comes in at 1.88Gb and the build number is 17763.1 for those playing along at home.  The whole process took just over 3 hours for very little reward, and it's a good job I had nothing better to do.

It took almost 5 hours on my sister's laptop and crashed numerous times as it attempted to download itself. However, if you find it jumps between initialising/pending install, ignore this and restart.  Upon reboot, run WU again and it should install and ask for a restart.  By the end of the afternoon I was completely underwhelmed, but happy that both updates passed off successfully.  I thought it had borked my printer, but it hadn't, as some HTML emails have "@media only screen" setting and these (under Windows Mail at least) don't print.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 32 of 79
Flag for a moderator

did not take that long for me but took a while - whats new i have no idea - like you i found calc took over the screen but it can be resized - why they felt the need to make it so big by default is anyone's guess - maybe whoever did it at Microsoft is blind

3rd party themes are a bit strange or they were for me - they really dont want us to use them but i got there after a bit of messing

Tony
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 33 of 79
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 34 of 79
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo wrote:

Why not go for Windows 10 version 1809?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/What-s-new-for-IT-pros-in-Windows-10-vers...

The Register: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/03/microsoft_windows_10_1809/

https://wccftech.com/download-windows-10-1809-iso/

I see that last link now contains reports of people having their data wiped out by the 1809 update!  Bit worrying that.

The wife and I have matching Dell XPS12 Ultrabooks.  On my machine 1809 appeared automatically in Windows Update and it did take an age to download and install.  I thought it had got stuck in an endless loop of Preparing, Downloading and Installing but it did finally complete.  I can't see that I've lost any data and all looks to be ok thankfully.

Curiously when I do a search for updates on my wife's machine it just keeps saying it is up to date and 1809 doesn't appear.  Very odd.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 35 of 79
Flag for a moderator

I'm up to insiders version 18252 on both my PC's now and now trying to get vers 1809/ 17763.1 to work on one as a VirtualBox system Smiley Happy

vers 18252 took a long time to download and install probably because of a big on demand on  Microsoft servers for the October update

Latest windows 10 versions.jpg

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 36 of 79
Flag for a moderator

I tried Microsoft.com during the download and it wouldn't connect.  It did eventually connect. but there's no information for 17763.1.  There's also this from the tubes:

It's a bit late for me, but nothing seems to have happened.Smiley Indifferent

--
No system is 100% secure
Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 37 of 79
Flag for a moderator

I didn't need to update as the insiders vers 17763.1 automatically became the October update so the files on my PC's were unaffected and all the files on my PC's are backed up on an external drive as well as some on the cloud anyway, but it didn't stay for long as the insiders version was updated again which was available on the fast track and it didn't affect any of the files either. 

Then I loaded a fresh version of 17763.1 onto the Virtual Machine to see if it would run but had problems with the sound and display resolution Smiley Mad

It's bad news to hear that this update has caused concerns for many Smiley Sad  Linux doesn't have these problems Smiley Happy

VirtualBox Linux Mint Cinamon.png

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 38 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Edited out an already posted link and now replaced it with this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12373/windows-update-faq.Smiley Indifferent

Mickeysoft seems to like borking things and dribbling out updates without any QC (as ThioJoe mentions in the above vid).  I also noticed a red X in the system tray near the speaker icon which put "Audio Service not started" in a tooltip.  Double clicking on it made it go away. 

I miss my old dual boot XP/Mint LXDE machine as I was getting to grips with Linux and quite liked it.  I'm getting really fed up with Windows and it's constant need to be babysat.  As I've said before, it's a good job I have nothing else better to do.  Another earth shattering discovery is that PDF files get a new icon (if you open them with Edge).Smiley Surprised 

It's late and I'm off to bed.

--
No system is 100% secure
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 39 of 79
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 40 of 79
Flag for a moderator