Menu
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 21 of 111
Flag for a moderator

Re: I downloaded Windows 10 vers 1803

Yet another tale of real world computingSmiley Happy:

This update hit my sister's laptop the other day as she wondered why her laptop was running slow.  I checked windows update (WU) and there were a number of updates it had been trying to do, but kept crashing.  I told her it was updating itself, "which is what it does and you have no control over it". I thought I'd give a proper full monty check.  

The smaller updates (1709) popped off WU and they installed themselves without much fuss, once I had decided to dig into it in a less cavalier manner. 1803 appeared to have installed itself already, but since it takes nearly 2 1/2 hours, I realised that it had installed something, but I wasn't sure what.  The blue screen of gnashing teeth (the one that asks you to wait whilst it updates) appeared, then disappeared.  On rebooting it had installed the cumulative update before the 1803.  I went back into WU and saw the dreaded 1803 was pending download, so I hit Update Now. 

It downloaded itself very slowly (I was on wi-fi) so I decided to kidnap said laptop and stick it directly into the router.  It downloaded eventually and the battery started to go flat.  I took it back upstairs plugging the thing into the mains (I didn't want the battery going flat during the install) and it proceeded to install which seemed to take at least 6 months.  My sister then told me that it had installed and she had shut it down. "Groovy", I replied.   The following day I got a complaint that the computer was running slow again as she played 20 questions with the laptop.  I had another look at it.

After several "No" answers the laptop booted into all it's 1803 glory.   I got rid of the annoying bits of nonsense 1803 forces on you and checked the drivers.  There was a wi-fi update on the Intel site (WU/update driver didn't install these, but I noticed it had downloaded Samsung drivers for no apparent reason).  I downloaded the driver and rebooted, then did a speed test. I hit 90Mb (almost wired speed Smiley Surprised) download speed with fluctuations down to around 50.  Result!

Support is confusing; do you let the buggy and unreliable WU do the driver downloading (in this case it didn't even register) or do it manually?Smiley Indifferent

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
SH3user
Superfast
Message 22 of 111
Flag for a moderator

I download an ISO when there is a new release as I have to update multiple PC's. I find it quicker. This PC is not supported by the manufacturer (ASUS) to run Windows 10 as they say the hardware is not compatible. Apart from the first version of W10 all new releases and updates run fine. I have not downloaded any of the original Asus W8 drivers and W10 has found and loaded its own recommended ones without any issues.

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 23 of 111
Flag for a moderator

I got the cumulative update (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4284848/windows-10-update-kb4284848) the other day as Windows decided to update itself.  It took a little while to download, then asked for a restart.  I did that and it failed, as described here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/error-0x80070bc2-and-0x80240034/....  I ignored the error message and hit retry.

It then downloaded itself and appeared to install, but I ended up with this:

wusc.jpg

I'll carry on faffing about with it, but it looks like WU is temporarily broken (again).

--
No system is 100% secure
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 24 of 111
Flag for a moderator

Looks like you're having problems, you could try https://advancedsystemrepair.com/

to see if it can repair it

Mine looks like this at the moment, the latest update installed yesterday, now up to vers 17704.1000update 30jun 2.PNG

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 25 of 111
Flag for a moderator

Checking my 1803 platform today on my other PC , the list is too long to open for a snapshot, but checked and all updates were installed successfully

1803 updates Jul2.PNG

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 26 of 111
Flag for a moderator

I gave up faffing about with it eventually; the next cumulative update along with a couple of other updates passed off without incident.  

--
No system is 100% secure
Highlighted
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 27 of 111
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep  glad to hear it sorted itself out

On my 1803 verson PC I installed VirtualBox a virtual machine. and have tried lots of different platforms on it, Windows 7, Windows 98, Windows XP and Linux Cinnamon.  At the moment Windows 7 keeps trying and failing on a quality update. lol

The display looks like this on the VM with Windows 7 loaded

virtualbox windows 7.PNG

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 28 of 111
Flag for a moderator

Greetings from my sister's laptop.  I'm still busy elsewhere  to catch up here unfortunately.  The last cumulative update put her wi-fi connection back to not saving properly and some other windows updates that didn't download selected themselves after me prompting them.  There were also a ton of program updates which has taken over 3 1/2 hours to install.  Last week I also disabled UP&P on the ancient wireless router and updated it's firmware which gave me the option to do so (wrong way round).  The antivirus is now happy and so is my sister's laptop.

I downloaded a space invaders game (not too far away from the original 1979 version) which W10 no longer seems to like.  According to the compatibility checker it's incompatible, having worked flawlessly 3 weeks ago.Smiley Mad

WIndows 7 support is becoming sketchy, maybe a search of the update catalog would be useful there.Smiley Wink

I hear the pings of doom on the microwave which means it's time to consume food.

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Nat_J
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 29 of 111
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry for the issues experienced concerning software MrHalfAsleep, 😕

How has your connection been performing in general?

Let us know if we can be of any assistance,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Community elder
Message 30 of 111
Flag for a moderator

Another Quality update went through OK this morning KB4340917 Smiley Happy

update 25 7 18.PNG

0 Kudos