Menu
teabag
Community elder
Message 11 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Re: I downloaded Windows 10 vers 1803

@Buffer6

From Monday I expect you'll find out if it is the full version or not https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/how-to-get-windows-10-spring-creators-upda...

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only x2. Customer since 1993.
Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 12 of 79
Flag for a moderator

It just went up again tonight to Version 1803 (build 17134.5) Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 13 of 79
Flag for a moderator

By Joel Hruska on April 30, 2018

Starting today, you’ll be able to download Windows 10 April 2018 update manually, with the full rollout happening on May 8. And good news! After initially going with “Windows 10 Spring Creators Update,” Microsoft has decided to jettison its name branding strategy and adopt a more neutral numerical designation. “I think people were really craving a lot more simplicity,” Aaron Woodman, a director at Microsoft, told The Verge. “We floated a number of different names to a lot of customers that provided that proactive feedback, and really the simplest way to help people understand the update was to give it a time that people can clearly understand and works really globally much more efficiently.”

from https://www.extremetech.com/computing/268435-microsofts-next-windows-10-update-arrives-monday

0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Superfast
Message 14 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Mine is just updating to 1803 now - I only keep the operating system on the internal hard drive everything else is on external drives (most of which are not connected unless I need them) but I really hope it doesn't mess with my Realtek audio or USB.  :/

Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 15 of 79
Flag for a moderator

It just went up again this morning on the insiders fast link, to version 17677.1000   Quite a large update, still have to try it out yet Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 16 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Another big update this morning for insiders on the fast link it's now up to vers  17682.1000 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 17 of 79
Flag for a moderator

If you have Avast or AVG antivirus, the drivers may get confused with the keyboard/mouse drivers.  Microsoft say there isn't a problem (there was a bit of a kerfuffle with Avast being "incompatible").  Unplugging both the mouse and keyboard (both USB jobs) then rebooting reset the Avast driver, then plugging both the mouse/keyboard back in, then rebooting again a couple of times did the trick, and my lighty up peripherals magically worked once more (after the short disco).  Update 1803 has fixed the spontaneous rebooting problem with the fast boot option checked to on.  Smiley Very Happy

One thing of note is that both the keyboard/mouse used to be HID (Human Interface Device) then they briefly went to Composite Input Device (or something similar) and now they're back to HID's again.  Smiley Indifferent  Windows 10 Home build 17134.48 for those playing along at home.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 18 of 79
Flag for a moderator

Another big update this morning for the insiders on the fast link, now updated to vers 17686.1003 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 19 of 79
Flag for a moderator

I'm back for a few minutes to let you know there was a Cumulative Update recently which may have foisted itself on the unwary, including myself.  This has stories of the taskbar freezing up; a simple cold boot (shut the computer down, then rebooting it) should fix this.  However, I found upon restarting, this update requires TWO restarts, and not the usual one.  This is supposed to fix a black screen on booting and some BIOS (Basic Input Output System) freezes, (something which I had for a short period of time; ironically pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL started the computer) which it appears to have done, although the black screens don't stop the machine from booting.

Microsoft doesn't seem to be content with giving folk constant help; they've come up with this*:  Windows 10 Update Assistant, resulting in more operating system bureaucracy.   Smiley Indifferent  Oh yes, before I go, the last 1803 update has altered the way you access your printer driver, by adding some more (previously) unrequired steps.

Here's a lovely link to the nonsense for those playing along at home:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4284835/windows-10-update-kb4284835

I'm still rather busy at the moment to actually do any more, and have an interview regarding a job via an agency.  I can't seem to register on their website though.

* edit - corrected stuff that was inaccurate.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Buffer6
Wise owl
Message 20 of 79
Flag for a moderator

I found that as well on my spring update version it require a re-boot to get it right.

My other PC which is  on the insiders preview had another big update this morning

and is now moved up to version 17692.1000  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos