cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub or Modem?

loobyloo1us
Tuning in

Hi Everyone, I haven't been on here for years so please be gentle.  I have had a home office built in the garden for my daughter.  An ethernet cable has been installed to it and is working.  There has been a longstanding issue with the signal (at home) dropping consistently hence the ethernet connection in the garden office.  Now it appears that we need a stronger signal. I can't remember what the speed should be (have looked at the contract but was for 1990s.  It says on the bill that we have Volt M200 which is news to me.  My question is how can I up the signal/speed for the garden office without spending a further fortune. I have done a speed test and its 93 download and 21 upload.  We have 1PC, 1 Laptop, 3 mobiles. my daughter has been told to get a Router for the office and change our router to a modem (I don't want that) so what is the answer.  Thanks in anticipation. From a very grateful OAP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@loobyloo1us wrote:

Hi GoSlow, It was for you actually.  

This was what I found when I opened Device Manager.  I couldn't find anything about ethernet etc so sent you a screen shot of what I could see.

<snip>

OK, image has now appeared which shows you have a wi-fi card in the PC and a gigabit ethernet adapter.

So, if your PC is plugged in via ethernet, has a network gigabit card and is on a M200 connection, you should be getting your 200 Mbps speed on the PC via a wired connection.

Ideally want to find out if your VM broadband connection is only giving you 92 Mbps download or whether the limitation is on your side of the network.

Simplest thing to try to begin with would be to swap the network cable which connects the PC to the VM hub and test again.

The replacement cable needs to be Cat 5e or Cat 6 and that should be written on the side of the cable along its length. Try a replacement cable between VM hub and the house PC and see it the download speed improves.

Other possibilities to be tested might be the wi-fi connection and the network card are fighting each other and you are connected via wi-fi (though often connecting an ethernet cable disables wi-fi) or the network card is set to 100 Mbps or something else is limiting the speed. others may have some different/better suggestions.

Will be signing off just now. May be back on later. Am sure others will continue to advise and assist in the meantime.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

38 REPLIES 38

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

If your Ethernet cable isn't cat 5e or better then you have a problem.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Hiya, thanks for your reply. How can I tell whether we have a cat 5e or not. Thanks.

Hiya,  I've just checked the Specs the installer of the cable gave me and it is Cat 5 but no letter after it.

@loobyloo1us wrote:

Hiya,  I've just checked the Specs the installer of the cable gave me and it is Cat 5 but no letter after it.

Some further questions to clarify ...

Can you see any of the ethernet cable linking down to the office room? If so, have a look on the side for the cable specification. It is usually printed on the cable. Not impossible, but it would be unusual for anyone to install Cat 5 cable these days.

What sort of cable length is involved approximately from the VM hub to the garden room?

How are you carrying out your speed tests? Over wi-fi or via a wired connection to some device in the office room?

Are you just connecting a device (such as a laptop) onto the end of the ethernet cable in the garden room or is there more networking equipment in the garden room such as a network switch or wireless access point?

If you are getting a 92 Mbps on a wired connection that might be a limitation of the network card in the device you are testing with or somewhere else along the connection operating at 100 Mbps.

Hi GoSlow,  Thanks for your reply.  I will try and answer them in order, oK?

1.Can you see any of the ethernet cable linking down to the office room? If so, have a look on the side for the cable specification. It is usually printed on the cable. Not impossible, but it would be unusual for anyone to install Cat 5 cable these days.

It's a Cat 5 ethernet cable and is connected to the Hub, it is laid under the floorboards of the house to the back garden and the office is at the bottom of the garden.  We anticipated that it would be approx 35 metres.

2.How are you carrying out your speed tests? Over wi-fi or via a wired connection to some device in the office room?

Speed test from my PC in house from ethernet cable connected to Hub. The reason why we installed ethernet to the garden office was because WiFi was dropping in and out all the time.

3.Are you just connecting a device (such as a laptop) onto the end of the ethernet cable in the garden room or is there more networking equipment in the garden room such as a network switch or wireless access point?

The laptop is connected by ethernet in the garden office. The only other equipment is a printer which is also plugged in via the laptop.

4. If you are getting a 92 Mbps on a wired connection that might be a limitation of the network card in the device you are testing with or somewhere else along the connection operating at 100 Mbps.

If this is the case, what do I have to do to sort this out. Increase the speed on the network card, new Hub, signal booster etc.

Thanks for your time and look forward to your advice. 

OK there seems to be a few variables here inc. the type of cable to the garden room and the spec. of the network cards in your PC and of the laptop.

If I have understood correctly, you have got the 92 Mbps from a PC connected direct to the hub in the house and not over the garden room ethernet cable.

Are your PC and laptop both running Windows? If so, what versions? (It should be possible to check the ethernet cards spec. in Windows)

If you have the laptop plugged into the long ethernet cable in the garden room and you run a speed test in the garden room using a wired connection to the laptop, what speed do you get wired via the laptop?

Hi GoSlow

"If I have understood correctly, you have got the 92 Mbps from a PC connected direct to the hub in the house and not over the garden room ethernet cable. 

Correct

Are your PC and laptop both running Windows? If so, what versions? (It should be possible to check the ethernet cards spec. in Windows)

We think it is Windows 10 on both machines. Sorry, I've been retired 7 years and it's been a long time since I had to find out this kind of info.

If you have the laptop plugged into the long ethernet cable in the garden room and you run a speed test in the garden room using a wired connection to the laptop, what speed do you get wired via the laptop? "

Can't do this at the moment, as my daughter is not able to help until tomorrow. She has ME and has run out of energy.

I've checked with the guy who installed the cable and my husband has checked the cable and it is Cat 6e and not Cat 5 as previously told.

Thanks for your help in this matter, it is much appreciated. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Cat5 cable is specced to 10/100 so is capable up to 100Mbps. Some actually do go higher. But it should work fine but just be speed limited somewhat.  However 100 is more than enough for most users.  Only 4K video streaming is really "hungry" ~15-15 Mbps - but HD streaming is only ~5Mbps and everything else is way less.

Try connecting the existing router in "bridge" mode.  If thats not good I would just put something like this WAP on the end of the cable and see how it performs on wifi and ethernet connections in the garden office. If its good enough then you are sorted

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wireless-Access-Business-WAC104-100UKS/dp/B01LWUJU8H/

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

Thanks for your message.  I've since found out that the cable is Cat6e. Does that alter the WAP you have suggested. Also, sorry I don't know what a WAP is or does. Thanks for any advice.