cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 vs BT Smart Hub 2

johndm
Superfast

Just joined the Virgin community after 25 years with BT.

I'm extremely happy with my new fast broadband package (M350), but find the supplied Hub 3 rather inferior to my old BT Smart Hub 2 for wifi.

My main computers are all on ethernet so no issues there, but the wfi signal around the house is much weaker, and our iphones on Virgin mobile are not connecting as well as they did with BT upstairs when using wifi calling

I bought an extender but it was rubbish and made things worse.

Just reading about the new Virgin Hub 4 which seems a massive improvement over the 3 I was suppled with, is there any way I can get the Hub 4

Answers appreciated

5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid that the hub 4 is limited to the 1Gbps service and only in limited areas.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

not played with any BT hubs but if you still have your old one it may be possible to use the wifi on that - you would need to log into it and turn off DHCP and set its internal ip address to 192.168.0.xxx - make the xxx a high[ish] number - 99 would do - if thats possible connect it to the hub3 and see what happens - use a lan port on the smart hub would be the correct port i think

all depends if you can change settings in the smart hub

Tony.
Sacked VIP

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

any 3rd party router is likely to be better than any of the VM hubs - the Asus ones get good feedback on here but there is no shortage of choices 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you're looking to improve wireless coverage, consider a mesh wifi system rather than a standalone router.  Mesh systems use two or more transmitter units that work together to offer much better coverage than a single router.  Shop around and you could get a Tenda Nova MW3 mesh system for sixty quid, or a TP-Link Deco M4 twin pack for seventy (from Currys and Argos, respectively).  The Deco M4 is slightly more advanced than the MW3, but they're both great value and easy to setup.  I use the Deco M4, and it has been faultless. 

Do a search on mesh wifi in general, and any particular system that catches your eye so that you know what you might buy.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

each non-wired link will result in a drop in available bandwidth.

...for that node, not the whole system, and even with three in use, there's credible speed tests published online showing that a three node Deco M4 was able to deliver 400-500 Mbps through the primary,  180-230 Mbps through the secondary, and 150-170 through the tertiary.   My secondary Deco M4 (in a two node setup) delivers speeds up to 200 Mbps, and the primary is constrained by my 220 Mbps cable speed, so I'd say that the online review is consistent with the data points I have available.

Given that the OP only has 350-400 Mbps coming into the house, I can't see cause for complaint if they buy a three node mesh and they get their full contract speed wirelessly on the primary, and 150-230 throughout the rest of the house with a reliable wireless connection.  As always, caveats apply to achieved speeds if the house has thick stone or brick internal walls.

21 REPLIES 21

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I am afraid that the hub 4 is limited to the 1Gbps service and only in limited areas.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thought I read somewhere it was being rolled out to other customers?

spgray
Problem sorter
only in specific cases

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

Which are?

spgray
Problem sorter

areas where network is conjested and they move the user over to hub4 to use the ehanced network spec.
and where the area has already been converted to be able to use it.

however, not sure where you read that the hub4 is a massive improvement. most suggest that it is no better and in some cases worse.

if you want a better network put the hub into modem mode and use your own router.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

not played with any BT hubs but if you still have your old one it may be possible to use the wifi on that - you would need to log into it and turn off DHCP and set its internal ip address to 192.168.0.xxx - make the xxx a high[ish] number - 99 would do - if thats possible connect it to the hub3 and see what happens - use a lan port on the smart hub would be the correct port i think

all depends if you can change settings in the smart hub

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Such as?

As we changed to Virgin BT wanted the old hub back, and I don't believe it can be used as a standalone

spgray
Problem sorter

@johndm wrote:

Such as?

such as what?