cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 4 barrel extension cable

ldwilliams
Up to speed

Bit of a long shot this -
Does anyone know the size of the barrel plug that goes into the back of the hub 4?
Or even better, is there any extension cable that I can buy?

Where I need to site the hub 4 the power lead dangles down in mid air, placing a strain on the power lead. An extension cable for the barrel jack would be the answer I think, unless someone else has a better idea?

9 REPLIES 9

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

am i getting it right - its the power lead you want to extend - dont know the size but its usually printed on the label for the appliance or the power block - extensions are usually on ebay or amazon with multi plug ends

if i am reading it wrong and its the coax - thats F type connector but you cannot supply your own cable or extension

Tony.
Sacked VIP

The barrel plug cable is too short Tony. What would be ideal would be a male and female extension cable of the right plug sizes, hence asking if anyone knew the inner and outer dimensions.
I would prefer to have the power brick on the floor and the extension to be on the barrel plug end preferably 

In message #4 here (showing the wrong plug for the hub 4)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Just-got-a-Hub-4-power-supply-cable-doesn...

the hub 4 power connection doesn't look like a common barrel connector. It looks like the plug it will receive is more like that found on some Dell laptops (a thin pin in the middle of an outer plastic cylinder which slips over the plastic cylinder in the hub, as per image at the bottom of this link). Just an example of the style of the connector. No idea if the dimensions shown would be correct.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/My-Inspiron-15-power-button-lits-up-and-turns-off-within-a/t...

From personal experience, be careful what you buy is reliable and actually rated correctly and capable of taking the required current. I replaced a laptop barrel connector recently, advertised as per required current spec, which ultimately melted after a period of use. It was a cheap sub-standard generic part.

Does the hub 4 power supply take its connection from a figure-of-8 or clover-leaf mains lead? That might be a safer and easier lead to swap out if feasible. 2m, 3m or 5m lengths are readily available.

no the figure of 8 lead is plenty long enough, but the hub is on a chest of drawers about 1.3M tall, so to hide the power brick it has to literally hang down by the connector, or stay on the same surface as the hub

Secure the 'brick' on the back of the chest of drawers out of sight (cable tie/base, brackets, clips, double-sided Velcro pads, whatever) so the brick is supported and in such a way that the DC cable is not stretched. Then use a mains lead of suitable length to reach up to the power brick.

Not a bad idea, I will have a look at those options, thanks for the idea

LaWalt
Joining in
Hi Idwilliams,
I've spent hours days weeks researching the same subject as the thinner coax cable they supply with the Hub4 is not long enough. I've read loads of comments that we shouldn't touch the coax cable and we break our t's and c's if we install our own. A load of rubbish. I've just spoken to VM on whether they could send longer coax cable out ,and 2 technical departments have just said go and buy your own from an electrical wholesaler (screwfix was also recommended). Also VM allow house developers to pre-wire new houses with RG6 or RG59. Always best to do your own research but I'm now not worried about a 'knock on the door' from the gloom mongers on forums...

Hi LaWalt,
It wasn't the size of the cable but the sizing of the male & female connectors that I didn't know, nor where to get them

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@LaWalt wrote:
Hi Idwilliams,
Also VM allow house developers to pre-wire new houses with RG6 or RG59.

Virgin Media will supply developers with cabling, they definitely don't suggest they get it from anyone else

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/shop/downloads/New-Build-Handbook-...

RG6/RG59 Coaxial Cable
Triple shielded white Coaxial cable, supplied by Virgin Media and manufactured by Amphenol Broadband Solutions. Drums are 305m in length and safe for a 1 man lift.

Virgin Media have reduced the cost of a non-fault tech visit to £25, which would include any coax rewiring request.

Though to the point of this thread, there aren't different lengths of power supply cabling for the Hub 4 for the captive cable from the power brick.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own