Menu
spikey673
Superfast
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hub 4.0

So, virgin, you’ve release a new service, called Gig1, currently only available in Southampton, which can be read about here - 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/News/Announcing-Gig1-the-UK-s-fastest-home-broadband/ba-p/40742...

I’m not so bothered about that particular service, or when it will be available in my area, but I am interested that this service uses a new Hub 4.0.

When will this hub be available for all? You can’t exactly say it runs on a different service ( DOCSIS 3.1 ) because we all know the hub 4.0 is backwards compatible, so in the meantime, for those of us that use our hubs, as routers, are being left behind.

I for one, like to have the best equipment available to me ( without having multiple access points/using modem mode )

please give us all some information regarding this, thanks in advance.

IF i have helped you, please give me kudos / mark me as helpful, thanks
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 4.0

you're not behing left behind at all. you still have the same product you have two days ago, you aren't getting a lesser service than what you have two days ago.

as you already know, the hub4 is avaiable only to Gig1 package customers. virgin aren't going to tell you anything different than what is in the press release.
spikey673
Superfast
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don’t mean for this to come across the wrong way, but if there is newer, better hardware available, but we’re not aloud to have it, we’re being left behind.

And if no one asks, no one is going to find anything out, so it’s worth a shot, 🤷🏻‍♂️

chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

if you want better hardware (of which there is plenty better than the hub4) then simply go out and buy it. you are not being left behind, the hub4 is currently for the Gig1 package.
0 Kudos
spikey673
Superfast
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I for one, like to have the best equipment available to me ( without having multiple access points/using modem mode )

I see you like circles 😂, il just wait to see what, if anything virgin say, I’m not denying it’s for the Gig1 package, all I’ve asked is can I have it, and if not, why not, and when.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

bucket.jpg

0 Kudos
tonycv51
Rising star
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If its similar to this https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Arris_TG3442

Then has a 2.5ghz dual core CPU which is great except its a puma 7

The wifi chips are a bit strange. They're wave 2 MU MIMO with 4 antenna on 5ghz, so sounds good but the only reference I can find (apart from arris modem routers) is as chips designed for client devices from November 2015. Hence would assume wifi will be better than hub3 but may not be very up to date

I'd be happy with it as a modem especially on 3.1 and if  VM add low latency docsis, but would be happier if it wasn't puma 7 and  wouldn't use it as a router myself

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you want up to date equipment, use whatever VM hub you have as a modem. All work fine as a modem. Then you just buy what latest greatest router/network switch and Wireless Access Points you can afford. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos