cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 to wifi 6 router

UltOomph500
On our wavelength

Looking for you experience if you have upgraded from a Hub 3.0 to a wifi 6 router? why did you do it and what improvements, if any did you get?

I understand that like most things wifi related, the weakest link theory prevails. so, if the device is not wifi 6 compatible you wont get any of the benefits from the router.  On the same note, will I not be able to use the hub 3.0 (weakest link) as the modem as it will impact any of the benefits from the router? 

6 REPLIES 6

Edward_W1
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi UltOomph500, 

With regards to router set up, I can confirm that should you wish, you are able to put our Superhub 3 into "Modem mode" this locks off Wi-Fi access from the Superhub 3 and limits ethernet access down to one port. 

This then allows you to use an ethernet cable as a feed into your own stand alone modem. 

Some customers find that this allows them more flexibility or simply, they prefer their own Wi-Fi network. 

I have not used a Wi-Fi 6 network myself however I understand that they were set up to allow for more devices to be used at once. 

Generally, in my experience I have not had anyone complain that they are not able to use enough devices at once so this may not be something you come across. 

I hope this helps

Ed 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Thanks very much Ed. Im curious as to the Hub 3 impacting the more superior wifi 6 router? Can a new router still help with speed, signal, stability etc even if a link in the 'chain' includes the more inferior hub 3, even in modem mode only?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM Hub when in modem mode is just that - a modem - and you have NO other choices of modem - you have to use the Hub to do that.

You would then connect it to your own router and wireless equipment - these can be separate or combined into one unit - a wireless router.  Either choice will improve both you routing functions and wifi - all other things being equal.
Consider that a Hub is a relatively cheap (say £25 cost?) basic device trying to do all 3 functions. A decent router will be £100-300 and a wifi6 one even more - you see why running in modem mode is the preferred option for many of us.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Edward_W1 please do NOT refer to the Hub3 as a SuperHub3, VM have NEVER called it a Suoerhub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Wifi 6 is not so much about more devices connecting at a time. It is about the capacity of data to those devices as it allows devices to communicate with the wireless access point by being able to send & receive data packets simulatainiously to more than one device.

In a traditional wifi environment there were only four spacial streams but only one downlink connection so when a device/s is currently engaged in sending data packets to the wifi router & then another device tries to send a packet at the same time it will cause a collision, that device is then sent a "holdoff" timer before it can retry to allow the other to complete. If it is still busy the holdoff time will double, then double again & again. You can begin to see how this would cause the wifi experience for some to appear to slow down. Especially when people are streaming, gaming, watching kitten videos or what ever they do on the internet.

With Wifi 5 there are now 8 spacial streams & it uses a technology called MU-MIMO (Multi-User Multi-Input Multi-Output) & this has 4 downlink connections. Think of it like four lorrys, each one is carrying the load of one customer & four lorrys can be received at a time.

Wifi 6 uses OFDMA (Orthogonal frequency-division Multiple-Access), this boosts the capacity by splitting the channel into several subcarriers which allows parralel streams. So more clients (as many as 30) can share the same channel without having to wait. This is now like each lorry is now carrying multiple customers loads at the same time while also increasing the number of lorrys that can be received at the same time.

There are some quite complicated equations but it basically boils down to a theoritical single stream data rate of 600Mb/s in Wifi-6 compared to the theoretical 433Mb/s single stream data rate in Wifi-5.

Wifi-6 also has better penetration & range through obsticles like walls so you will not only benefit from fast speeds but better coverage in your house, especially if you have an older house with thick walls.

Understanding how it works & what it's benefits are may help you make a choice. I've done mine & it has made a huge difference. No more random slow downs (or collisions) when my kids a re gaming or streaming netflix while I'm trying to work from home. My signal strength has increase upstairs also.

Wifi 6 is not so much about more devices connecting at a time. It is about the capacity of data to those devices as it allows devices to communicate with the wireless access point by being able to send & receive data packets simulatainiously to more than one device.

In a traditional wifi environment there are only four spacial streams but only one downlink connection so when a device/s is currently engaged in sending data packets to the wifi router & then another device tries to send a packet at the same time it will cause a collision, that device is then sent a "holdoff" timer before it can retry to allow the other to complete. If it is still busy the holdoff time will double, then double again & again. You can begin to see how this would cause the wifi experience for some to appear to slow down. Especially when people are streaming, gaming, watching kitten videos or what ever they do on the internet.

With wifi 5 there are 8 spacial streams & it uses a technology called MU-MIMO (Multi-User Multi-Input Multi-Output) & this has 4 downlink connections. Think of it like four lorrys, each one is carrying the load of one customer & four lorrys can be received at a time.

Wifi 6 uses OFDMA (Orthogonal frequency-division Multiple-Access), this boosts the capacity by splitting the channel into several subcarriers which allows parralel streams. So more clients (as many as 30) can share the same channel without having to wait. This is now like each lorry is now carrying multiple customers loads at the same time while also increasing the number of lorrys that can bve received at the same time.

There are some quite complicated equations but it basically boils down to a theoritical single stream data rate of 600Mb/s in Wifi-6 compared to the theoretical 433Mb/s single stream data rate in Wifi-5.

Wifi-6 also has better penetration & range through obsticles like walls so you will not only benefit from fast speeds but better coverage in your house, especially if you have an older house with thick walls.

So in short you will definately benefit from increased wifi performance even with your hub in modem mode but, your uplink will be the bottleneck as all connected devices will be trunked through the 1Gbps link to the hub. Having said that, it also depends on your internet connection speed. If you have 200Mbp/s for example there is another bottleneck there, although the likely hood of you consuming this is very unlikely. Only 6Mbp/s is require for a HD video stream so you can figure it out, even with many devices on your network all streaming, with a 1Gbp/s uplink & 200Mbp/s internet connection your still going to be flying but you'll have more reliable Wifi.