Menu
john_heron
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

How to get rid of a fibreboptic cable

I am no longer connected to Virgin, but the poorly installed cable has now surfaced in the garden. I need to get rid of this and would like to know if it is safe to "cut" this cable or do I need to get an engineer to remove it?

20190214_162131r.jpg

0 Kudos
Tudor
Superstar
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to get rid of a fibreboptic cable

The cable must remain in place, you cannot cut it. Could affect lots of other VM customers and you would be liable for any rectification measures. These cables and ominiboxes must remain as they are considered an essential utility, even if you do not use them. If the exposed hazard of the cable could cause personal injury then VM could well bury it. You will have to wait for a VM staff member to get to your post. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That’s not fibre. It’s coax bonded to a telephone cable. Give VM a call & say the cable is causing a trip hazard. Just asking to remove it won’t get the desired response, as once installed it is classed as a general utility feed & would not normally be removed.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

they dont usually remove them unless its a health and safety hazard - you could argue that is as its a trip hazard so they might come and sort it - easier and quicker way is just bury it again - the plus to thats is you might want to use VM in the future 

wait for staff to get to the thread and see what they say 

Tony
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello john_heron

I am sorry to hear about this, have you been able to get this sorted out, If not please let me know.

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
john_heron
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Joe

Thanks for replying. I'm still not sure what I'd need to  do to sort this. I'd really like to get rid of the cable - it was installed at a very shallow (some part exposed) Depth

It has now become a trip hassard. How would I contact an engineer to sort this?

Thanks again

John

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am going to send you a private message, if you can please reply I can look into this for you.

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
john_heron
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much Joe - very much appreciated. 

John

0 Kudos