Menu
TommyVercetti
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

How does a double connection work?

Good Morning, Good Afternoon & Good Evening (whichever applies)

The following is just something I would like to know if anyone could shed some light. I hope the following makes sense.

So 2 months ago I moved into my new house in which one of my housemates already had an active connection with Virgin. I got my own so now there are 2 connections in the same property. What i would like to know is as there is a singular cable that comes from the street to the property how does it filter the dual connection with regards to speed? I pay for a faster connection than my housemate so how does it know what speed to allow to which router/connection?

0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How does a double connection work?

The hub itself , by way of its internal configuration files control the speed. ultimately all the homes in your street share the same cable, it doesn’t really control your speed at all.

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

TommyVercetti
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank You Jon.

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your router authenticates with the network and connection speed is controlled by the network for that account/device.

Did you use existing cabling or did they come out?

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
TommyVercetti
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Wonk,

For my connection an engineer had come out. Did something in the box on the property and fed a cable to to destination point. It was just confusing me as I was use to a separate/new cable/wiring being attached to the property. (This is my first time with Cable). To be honest as I don't really mingle with my house mate I didnt want her benefiting from a faster connection at my expense (Yes i'm a scrooge LoL)

0 Kudos
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Understandable! You don't necessarily need a different cable to the property, they can split it in the box on the wall. You would run into problems if the number of devices in the property increases. Power levels are a bit of a balancing act, engineers can spend a lot of time trying to get every device within an acceptable range. Last time I had them out they were there for a couple of hours trying to get four set top boxes and a hub within acceptable ranges.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Residential broadband is invariably shared regardless of ISP, so it's perfectly fine to share a single cable so long as the signal levels are good.

Your broadband speeds are set by a configuration file downloaded to your hub.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos