Menu
jbrennand
Legend
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

How common are browsers causing speed drop issues?

I was helping a fellow Mac man with their speed issues yesterday (link below) - potted summary is that his iMac was only getting 50-70mbps on an ethernet cable connection to the Hub3.  When he turned off Chrome and used Safari his speed instantly jumped up to 380mbps.  Got me wondering how common this issue might be in the windows/linux community - of which I have little experience other than one old W10 lappy I keep on top of the wardrobe for emergency use only.  Does Chrome have something inherent about it that could cause this? Could it have been "infected" with summat? Any other "browser specific" speed issues been unearthed in the past?

Thoughts?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Etherent-speed-slow/m-p/3912102#M202773

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: How common are browsers causing speed drop issues?

Chrome chews through memory like nobody's business even on Win10.  On the XP machine there was a memory leak that chewed through most of the 2GB forcing it to run very slowly.  I've noticed similar things happening in Edge whilst on speed testing websites.  During testing, it'll start off incredibly slowly, then speed up to over 1GB causing the results to be skewed.  I'm on Vivid 100Mb, but the screencap (max numbers) below puts me on 350Mb and nearly 100Mb upload.

Pinging local servers (around Manchester) provides a better result.

testmy.jpg

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tudor
Superstar
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I always stay well clear of Google software whenever I can.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal
0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

I always stay well clear of Google software whenever I can.

for what particular reason?
Chrome is based on the open source chromium platform which many browsers use (and Edge will be soon too).
Safari is a pretty poor browser once you remove the apple reality distortion field.

0 Kudos
ianwil54
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have just changed my laptop the old one I was running on chrome and was getting speeds of 270 on the the new one I left it on widows edge and I am only getting between 80 and 90. 

0 Kudos
chenks
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

i suspect the browser has nothing to do with your difference in speed.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Macbook Air (802.11AC wireless) - 200mbps Service

Chrome:

Safari

Firefox

If you are seeing drops like you said in chrome you have something wrong with Chrome on the Mac

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Legend
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
If you are seeing drops like you said in chrome you have something wrong with Chrome on the Mac

It wasn't my problem (see OP for link) but I think the guy concluded that that was the case - I dont know if he has reinstalled it and checked again.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Maybe your man is running lots of Chrome extensions some of which are enabled by default and may not be needed.  I would suggest he disables extensions and re-enable them one by one to see if a particular extension is causing the slowdown.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just checked my speed a few minutes ago ... Win 7, Chrome, 100mbps service ...  Lovely Jubbly

Speedtest 130119.jpg

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos