Menu
Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 11 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has anyone tried the new Windows 10 vers 1709 yet?

Roger_Gooner wrote:

Version 1709 is working well on my 64-bit Windows 10 Pro desktop PC. Mind you, I don't use WiFi, Cortana or Edge.

Ditto.  I don't use the Windows apps or Store either, and I've stripped the Start Menu to a bare minimum. I also tend to pin the apps I use to the Taskbar.

It's a habit I have for a very minimalist desktop experience.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 12 of 44
Flag for a moderator

You have met your minimalist match. I match your don't and also have nothing pinned to my taskbar.

Windows works best when not used much.

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 13 of 44
Flag for a moderator

To shut the PC down on Windows 10, just press the power on/off switch once and it will shut the PC down.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 14 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Buffer6 wrote:

To shut the PC down on Windows 10, just press the power on/off switch once and it will shut the PC down.

Far too complicated for me    Smiley Tongue

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 15 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Well my experience of the fall update.  I replaced my old WD black HDD boot drive with a new SSD drive as it had become slower than a USB stick  and then loaded everything on to that.

It also required updating all the motherboard drivers with the latest driver updates from the motherboard manufacturers as Microsoft doesn't cover that very well. 

As well as the latest audio and video drivers from Realtek and NVidia. 

I installed  Driver Booster 5 free software to check, download and optimise with all the latest motherboard drivers.

After installing my software and checking with a software updater, I had to update  to a lot of the latest versions of Microsoft visual redistributables with  both x86 and x64 versions requiring to be installed.

Web browsers and an email client had then to be installed followed by the latest Adobe flash players.... Just realised I still have to install Java   lol

then Windows update to check for critical and recommended updates.

I then checked the registry with the free Wise registry cleaner vers 9, after that Malwarebytes adware cleaner was used to make sure I hadn't installed a lot of adware, you often get that with free helper software. Smiley Happy

The motherboard Bios was just set on default.

I took the opportunity to install a USB3 card and a Seagate external HDD for backup.  It's handy now not having to backup every week as it's automatically backed up every hour with windows 10

I  then made a USB recovery drive.   So far it all seems to be running smoothly  touch wood Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 16 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Further to the above, I installed a MVPS hosts file and Since it has run so well for a few weeks without Java installed, I think I'll give it a miss for now.

Checking advice on the web it seems the best idea is to try your PC without Java and if all works OK then you don't need it, it's just another security loophole you could do without.

Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 17 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Buffer6 wrote:

Further to the above, I installed a MVPS hosts file and Since it has run so well for a few weeks without Java installed, I think I'll give it a miss for now.

Checking advice on the web it seems the best idea is to try your PC without Java and if all works OK then you don't need it, it's just another security loophole you could do without.

Java and Adobe Flash are both security risks. If you can do without them, then that's a plus.  I also used the MVPS host file, but after a while I reverted back as I felt it was slowing down DNS queries just a tad. Maybe I'll give it another go sometime.

MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 18 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I've had problems in the past where the power button on the front of the PC doesn't actually switch the computer off, hence the creation of the shutdown shortcut previously mentioned.  Flicking the switch on the PSU solved that problem, but created more hours of wasted life using chkdsk.

At the time of posting, I have Edge showing as open, but no window or start page.  The start menu also doesn't work along with a lot other stuff.  I can't work out what is actually wrong with it.  Aren't computers fun?

Looks like pen and paper is the way forward.Smiley Indifferent

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 19 of 44
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 20 of 44
Flag for a moderator

With the toolkit you can repair it (Edge) or Uninstall and then download and Reinstall it.

0 Kudos