Menu
Buffer6
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone tried the new Windows 10 vers 1709 yet?

The latest release of Windows 10 version 1709 is now available from Windows Update and the Windows catalogue.

I downloaded and installed it yesterday. It has a lot of new features, seems quite good, although it will take a while to get more acquainted with. 

Lots more updates are coming in the near future as Microsoft continue to build on their latest platform. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
scouser73
Superfast
Message 2 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has anyone tried the new Windows 10 vers 1709 yet?

Hi Buffer6,

I have the Fall Creators Update, there's nothing to really say that it's good. It's come with applications that I'd never use, such as Mixed Reality and Paint 3D, as well as Edge.

Regards,

scouser73

152 Mbp/s Broadband - Windows 10 [Home] -
Ubuntu 17.10 - SuperHub 3.0 - Nokia 5
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 3 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I have.  2 1/2 hours to download and install.   The only thing I've noticed is the Windows Store icon now has coloured boxes. Smiley Indifferent  Oh, and Microsoft Edge has some more annoying "features".

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I’ve downloaded the Fall update & found it has fixed many problems which were introduced with the subsequent updates to Creators update. Now my live tiles all work, Edge opens my homepage much quicker than before, overall the pc is running smoothly.
Previously I had problems downloading updates to Groove & Photos apps, I’m hoping these have been fixed also but won’t be able to tell until the next update of those apps.

Yes there’s quite a few of the MS apps which I will not use but some can be uninstalled (unless MS have changed that but I don’t think they have).

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 45
Flag for a moderator

It still hasn't fixed the fact that my WiFi will not connect automatically ... something that a previous update wrecked!

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 6 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Edge, Cortana, Settings, Start menu,  Windows Store etc etc have now stopped working, along with the odd spontaneous reboot. Several reboots sometimes fixes it.  Rinse, repeat.  Tried several "fixes" and these do not work.  Never had anywhere near this amount of problems with XP.Man MadMan Frustrated  There's nothing wrong according to the diagnostics/anti virus.

Government PC's are also having the same problem.  (I'm between jobs; nothing to do with Apple.)

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 45
Flag for a moderator

My main machine is staying on Win 7 which works perfectly.  I only switch on my Win 10 laptop when I want a good laugh at MS incompetence.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Rising star
Message 8 of 45
Flag for a moderator

The wi-fi thing happens on my sister's laptop occasionally where it doesn't seem to save the setting properly.  Everything that wasn't working 3 hours ago now is working fine as if nothing happened.Smiley Frustrated

To shut the PC down I created this shortcut:

Right Click on the desktop, then >New>Shortcut

Paste the following into the target box:

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

Then click Apply (rename it Shutdown, if you like; I even created an icon for it), then OK.

Note that it will close everything you have open, there is no going back (unlike the Start Menu option).  This also happens to work on XP.

--
No system is 100% secure
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superfast
Message 9 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Version 1709 is working well on my 64-bit Windows 10 Pro desktop PC. Mind you, I don't use WiFi, Cortana or Edge.

Adduxi
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 45
Flag for a moderator

MrHalfAsleep wrote:

The wi-fi thing happens on my sister's laptop occasionally where it doesn't seem to save the setting properly.  Everything that wasn't working 3 hours ago now is working fine as if nothing happened.Smiley Frustrated

To shut the PC down I created this shortcut:

Right Click on the desktop, then >New>Shortcut

Paste the following into the target box:

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00

Then click Apply (rename it Shutdown, if you like; I even created an icon for it), then OK.

Note that it will close everything you have open, there is no going back (unlike the Start Menu option).  This also happens to work on XP.

I just use Alt + F4 to shutdown ......   Smiley Happy  but yes,  nice idea for the shortcut !

0 Kudos